Featured Help would be v. much appreciated for Roman coin xx

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Jan 23, 2020.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I am ( as always) clueless...just went to list it and realised I know less than I normally do.
    It was dug up some time ago so don't think it's a repro. Could still be of coursexx
    I don't suppose it matters much what it is as they aren't worth much anyway but I am curious too...is it a camp gate coin? I literally have no idea.

(I've got into the habit of measuring everything now so this is about half an inch.)
    Many thanks xxx

It has a portcullis ( actually it's a gate-y sort of thing) on one side with one big door ( am describing what I see as not sure how clear it came out in pics) and actually I can't see much more.
    Has a man on the other side facing left. Not sure how much good my description is either...it's dark here and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see more
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

KSW, i need help and BoudiccaJones like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

KSW, i need help, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I know nothing about it but would be very excited to find it:)

5. BoudiccaJones

Am always hoping I find a Billy n Charley! In other peoples diggings, as I haven't detected for literally years and years xx
    They have value now I believe...I have always wanted to mudlark. I was watching a youtuber mudlarking and I got so envious I almost drowned in my own bitterness and had to stop watching. Our local rivers, The Wye and The Lugg don't seem to contain many treasures,though I often look. My dad owns part of a little ole brook and that has never yielded me anything fun either dammit xxx

KSW, blooey, i need help and 3 others like this.
  6. BoudiccaJones

Thank you Aqui xx

7. BoudiccaJones

Oh Kyra, I haven't metal detected since I was a child so I buy other people's cheap from The Bay! It's almost as much fun as doing it yourself! xxxx

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice, Bou.:) I'll be following this thread.:watching:

9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    With your history a wonderful find. Here in the USA the oldest coin I ever found was a silver Elizabeth I 1596 six pence. It was found in the Philadelphia waterfront when RT 95 was being built. Lots of stuff was found such as cannons, silver, bottles, clay pipes and such. It was just like being a mud lark on the Thames. I think one of the best was a pile of silverware, pitchers and dishes. The historical society found a newspaper ad offering an award for it's return in the 1770s. It seems someone stole the silver and had it in a bag dumped in the river and never returned to collect it.
    greg

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

12. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

They found Native American fishing weirs under Boston during the “big dig”. I’m sure they found many, many amazing things but this one I know for sure. I would have killed to detect that site. Every time I see a construction site around here I think about slipping in with my detector. I actually was going to an old town green to detect once and saw a construction pit behind an old 1800’s house. Only had about twenty mins and didn’t find anything too exciting but it coughed up old things much quicker than a typical surface hunt would.

13. J Dagger

I bought a few big lots of finds from the mud somewhere in the UK once before I had a machine. I actually still haven’t opened them. Has to be 5lbs if not more of little trinkets. I’ve been meaning to dig in! Nice coin!

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember the uproar with metal detectorists people coming in with small bulldozer type things and many shovels. The ground was restricted to road builders during the work week. The evenings and week ends were fair game for several weeks. It was so exciting. I ended up with at least 15 "onion bottles" and several entire clay pipes. Along with my 40 to 50 coins of all sizes and national origins. I ended up selling just about all of it within two years. My Queen Elize coin I kept as well as one onion bottle. I knew some people that just made out so well. I know three cannons that "disappeared" into private hands. Most of the really valuable pieces were given to the city historical societies and the Franklin Institute. All I know for sure was an exciting time. Everytime I drove up I 95 i kept thing of all the stuff that was left. I believe it was 35 ships that were sunk on the water line to fill in the shore to make roads over 150 years ago before the highway project was even thought of.
    greg

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  15. J Dagger

I
    That’s an amazing story. My treasure hunter mind goes wild at the idea of it. Basically the entire landmass for miles around that I live on is all fill. God knows what’s there!!! All I’ve found that’s old so far nearby is a Minié ball an inch or two down on the shore.

Edit: Also some metal piece still connected to wood. I believe it’s off the hull of a ship.

My two oldest coins which were found a state away inland are both completely roached and unidentifiable. They are both big coppers. Probably 19th c British but could always be colonial or other.

KSW and BoudiccaJones like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Be STILL my HEART!!!! Going over that Cheapside Hoard!!!!! WHAT an AMAZING treasure to have found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

17. BoudiccaJones

Many many thanks Davey. Was almost sure I could see bit of Constantine and there seemed to be a few Constantines when I looked on net and they were around a while. Got terribly confused xxx
    Thank you that's very helpful xx

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  18. BoudiccaJones

Thank you Dagger...I keep the bits I want ie rings and any gold or silver and just sell the rest. So much fun. I do need to get a new machine...I think I have an old C Scope which looks as if Romans themselves used it. It's very old. Takes a H U G E square battery....'normous xx
    We used to detect in the Black Mountains when I was a child...never found anything particularly exciting there as I remember. Silver paper we used to get a lot of...copper coins...found a gold 1903 half sovereign once,that was the best. I have all the coins I found still except that one xxx

19. BoudiccaJones

OH MY I WANNA FIND A BIT OF SHIP!!! I would love to find that !

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  20. BoudiccaJones

Draft saved Draft deleted