Hemming, sewing, calipers???

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Basia, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Basia

Basia New Member

i need some help identifying this please. It is 5 3/4” long. Lightweight metal. Came from old estate. Thank you. F55855A5-B971-4006-8A3A-5BE4BFF60F6D.jpeg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    ~
    I'd say sewing but that includes hemming. :)

Basia and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks sort of like a hem marker. Would help to see some other shots showing how the parts can be moved. Gizmo for measuring hem length has to slide up & down. Can't make out how this would do that.

Basia and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

Seams.... ;) like even as it can lock where you want it it can't slide then so you have to be really good at continuing the hem and/or move it every so often. Yes?

Basia likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Trying to remember - a long time since I saw one in use. It let you determine just where you wanted the hem to be & you would fold the excess fabric under & secure with a straight pin. Think you usually did have to keep moving around & place pins at intervals because it's not likely to lead to desired result just to do one spot & conclude you could hem up the same amount of material all round. Seem to remember head stayed where positioned by friction, not requiring a screw or something that way. It has to be able to stand on its own. This doesn't look like it could.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The skirt hemmers I'm used to have stands and wing nuts. You'd set the hemmer at the height you wanted the skirt off the floor. and put pins in around the skirt. That way it didn't hike up in the back if one had a decent badonkadonk. Then you'd iron the hem into the skirt, folding at the pin line and sew from there. This thing doesn't look like it could handle the job.

Bakersgma, Basia, judy and 3 others like this.
  7. KingofThings

I could!!!!
    ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but who'd handle you?

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3 threads for the same item...is not nessessary....or fun.

Basia, judy and KingofThings like this.
  10. KingofThings

:)

11. KingofThings

I think he was just confused. I’ve addressed for with him. Hopefully he’ll be on track now. :)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not clear on the concept....eh !
    well hopefully u straight'nd him out...

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

:)

14. Bronwen

I don't think it's sewing related at all. Too short to measure a hem for anything other than a very long skirt. That hook shaped piece seems to be on a spring; it does not look to me like it would open out to make a stand. There's a little hook to hold it closed.

And look at the handful of calibration marks. 1/3? Then 2, 3, 4, & 5/8?

upload_2018-1-18_1-30-16.png

15. Bronwen

Hey, @springfld.arsenal ! You like figuring out the function of old tools. Probably not sewing. Ideas?

16. Basia

Basia New Member

Thank you Bronwen. The part with the measurement on it does not move. I tried moving it to the side. It does pull up a bit from the other bar on one side. The only part that really moves is the little hook on the straight pin? Now that’s confusing! F39B57C0-BF42-4A6D-AED8-E672AFAD58DF.jpeg CBCC711A-52ED-4726-9BB8-12F6EB00C22E.jpeg 4910727C-2B99-466D-B9A8-8DDBBE4D6F74.jpeg

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  17. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  18. Basia

Basia New Member

judy and KingofThings like this.
  19. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The response there so far thinks it is a sewing machine attachment. If you have some time to invest, search Eboo for used sewing machines for sale and look for a machine with green finish matching the “thing” and if the ad pictures any attachments, maybe you’ll get lucky.

judy, Basia, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  20. Bronwen

Thank you, kind sir.

Basia, have we said welcome to you before getting silly there for a bit? Love your (Sendak?) avatar.

Back to topic. Is this a hinge? Can the simple hook shaped piece be moved to a right angle with the other part so that it can stand?

upload_2018-1-18_12-8-51.png

Is there any kind of movement to that drum shaped part at the top? Can you push the plain part on the spring toward the other side & secure it in a closed position by finding some where to use the little sliding hook? This is like 20 questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted