Featured Henry VIII Porcelain Snuff Box - Age, please ??????

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 15Stiftgasse, Nov 27, 2022.

1. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

I've recently come across this quite attractive porcelain snuff box, which I believe could be of German origin.
    The seller suggested that the box dates from the late C19th.
    I wouldn't normally buy such an item, but I do find it very attractive, despite the asking price of a few hundred Euro. It appears to be quite unique, although I have noticed some slight damage at one of the corners.

Anyway, I checked online and the nearest thing I found for comparison was a supposedly German snuff box of similar 'cushion' shape, dating from around 1790. When I saw the asking price, I almost dropped my bowl of Cornflakes !!

I'd be very grateful to hear the opinions of you experts out there.

Many, many thanks !!!!!!!!

704_-1814439367.jpg 704_1305067603.jpg 704_676778665.jpg 704_-324086095.jpg 704_-1176910166.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour and Catherine Howard. Wonder why just three of his wives.

Debora

15Stiftgasse and Bronwen like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, apparently the three were related. Who knew? (Not I.)

Debora

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the print from which the interior image was taken. If we can find the date, we will have the earliest date for your box.

Debora

GettyImages-600076371-d76a8cb.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears that late 19th century or later is correct. Here is the source of the image:

Illustration for A Pictorial History of the World's Great Nations by Charlotte M Yonge (Selmar Hess, c 1880).

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here is her work in three volumes.

Debora

A-Pictorial-History-Of-The-Worlds-Great-Nations.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Saw that too. Still late Victorian rather than Georgian. Or whatever the equivalent is in the box's country of origin.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The coat of arms is, of course, that of Henry VIII.

Debora

3753-copy-v2__ScaleMaxWidthWzEwMDBd.jpg

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  10. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Many, many thanks for all your efforts - and your lightning fast replies, Deb and MoreOtherStuff..
    As it looks like late C19th onward, I'll probably give this one a miss - especially with the apparent damage to the metalwork.

Ah, well, there's plenty more fish in the sea......as Henry VIII might have said.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dirty dog, he.

Debora

12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yep,he was a dirty dog and an overfed mongrel who literally exploded in his coffin-poor baby hank.
    ...like the Monsieur Creosote skit by the Pythons.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, German or Austrian: Johanna, Katharina and Anna, instead of Jane, Catherine and Anne.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  14. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

that box is fab! it looks like Sevres/Limoges in style - if given the opportunity to purchase at a reasonable price I would snag it...

15Stiftgasse likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted