Hepplewhite table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jacqueline Clubb, May 19, 2017.

1. found this table at a thrift store today...it was missing two of the very cool cannon drawer pulls so started searching for replacements and came across the Hepplewhite story. its an unusual 42 inches tall and 53 long and 18 deep. Wondering how to tell what kind of table and it's use

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would call it a sideboard.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

any names or markings in her...

4. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I would call this form a Hunt Board

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

verybrad likes this.
  6. verybrad

Good to know. I never knew the distinction. It is a term we know but don't use much here in the US...... at least in the circles I travel.

7. Thanks for all the good info! I've been researching huntboards and from what it sounds like they were mainly used in the south in the 1800s. It makes sense because we bought it in North Carolina. I'm thinking these may not be the original pulls because there are three holes for the pulls instead of two. (One is covered up behind the pulls, probably from the original hardware). It's very well made, appears to be cherry wood, solid with no veneer. Could anyone guess what this type of piece could be worth? Thanks for your help

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The original pulls were probably a wooden knob. These are nice in the guns in the field but a canon???.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    greg

9. verybrad

Can we see drawer construction? Also, is that a 1 board top?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. yes the top is one board, everything is solid what i believe is cherry, no veneers..precision fit for the drawer lock pictured too, hand cut dovetailed drawers, early form of pocket screws in carcase and mortise and tenon legs joinery

Attached Files:

11. verybrad

The wide arc circular saw marks indicate a date of circa 1850. Was hoping this could be earlier. Even so, if it can be definitively linked to a Southern region, it could be worth a fair amount. You should probably have a quality auction company take a look. Brunk's in Asheville or Leland Little in Hillsborough NC come to mind. I am sure there are others.

12. thanks for the info! we emailed Brunks and are awating reply, love finding trash to treasure lol

13. verybrad

Let us know what you find out from them.

Draft saved Draft deleted