Here's a big topic about modern silver makers and silver art business

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Asian Fever, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I have a very strange question.
    Why there're so few silverware companies?(I mean hand made hollowware and hand made customized big silver arts.) So many american companies are getting shrink (Gorham, international, etc..) and many are dead(reed barton, whiting, etc...), others are focusing more on other business and do very little silverwares especially hollowwares. Is this not only because the demand is getting fewer and fewer? Or just because there're are fewer and fewer great artisans?

cxgirl and judy like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Demand for sterling flatware has flatlined; it's dead or on life support. Americans don't want to deal with it or pay for it. Formal china is also dead in the water. It does sell once in a while, but not in the numbers it used to.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The major American silver manufacturers no longer really exist - nearing or in bankruptcy, most sold off to conglomerates some time ago (and they hadn't produced 'hand made' silver in many decades), Reed & Barton was the last hold-out, sold in 2015 to Lenox, who offers a limited selection of R&B sterling flatware. Lifetime Sterling owns Gorham, International, Kirk-Stieff, Towle, Tuttle, and Wallace, also offering a limited selection of sterling patterns. The only large hand crafted silver manufacturer left is Old Newbury Crafters, they struggle and have an extremely small staff - not saying that hand crafted silver isn't available here, still made in small shops, but sterling flatware and holloware is just not a mass market product anymore...

~Cheryl

4. Asian Fever

Thank you so much for your information. However, why sterling flatware and holloware is just not a mass market product anymore? Is that because artisans cannot make really nice stuffs or because of the market taste changed?
    However, Georg Jensen and Buccellati are still making silver arts. Why american hand crafted silver manufacturers cannot make one of the best silverwares?

judy likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have never considered ONC as large. You may remember that I used to live in Newburyport 1973-1982 and used to love window-shopping there. I have just a few small things that they made, but it always seemed to be a tiny shop on a tiny alley in a relatively small city.

6. Bakersgma

Because Americans of the current generation either can't afford it or don't want to have to take care of it.

kyratango, BMRT and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Asian Fever

And what about the silver arts? Such as large centerpiece or statures?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Gone, gone and long gone. No one wants to pay for it, the few that might can't afford it, and no one wants to care for it. Some pieces are still made by artisans, but the big manufacturers are all gone as far as I know. It may still be made for the Asian market, but not for Americans.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Asian Fever

That is so sad as no more nice arts can be crafted and only few will like to enjoy them.

kyratango likes this.
  10. Asian Fever

One last question, is there any silver art exhibition ever exist in america now? Thank you.

11. DragonflyWink

You're right of course, 'major' would have been a better term - any firm that's been in business over a century, still producing and selling several full lines of sterling flatware, as well as holloware has to be considered a major concern, though at this point its future is uncertain...

~Cheryl

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. DragonflyWink

There is also the fact that, even with pieces lost to scrap, there is still quite a bit of old silver available, including full services of both flatware and holloware, and usually at more reasonable prices than new production...

~Cheryl

BMRT and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

It's a miracle they are still around at all.

14. Asian Fever

Oh Mr. Cheryl,
    I am sorry. However, my english is bad a
    agree with that, but not including museum pieces.

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-10-8_16-37-17.jpeg

I think there's still a good market for religious silver..

kyratango likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

17. Asian Fever

Actually, I would like to get involved in this business. And would like to design and customize hand make fine silvers for clients because my boys are world best astisans. So is there anyone can tell me some information about silver art exhibitions?
    upload_2019-10-8_15-48-33.png

kyratango likes this.
  18. Bakersgma

Did he really. I had no idea.

19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

My generation has very different priorities for their discretionary funds. Still lots of oversized homes being built, lots of expensive trucks & SUVs being purchased off dealer lots, lots of expensive tattoos, hair treatments, and expensive vacations being planned.

kyratango and BMRT like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

There are silver exhibits in numerous museums in the U.S. - and most large exhibits had published catalogs or books, and high-end auction catalogs are good references...

~Cheryl

kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted