Featured Here's something shiny for everybody to find.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bercrystal, Jun 12, 2022.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Other than being sterling,theres nothing to recommend that ugly thing !

4. bercrystal

I have bought & sold ugly before & would do it again in a heartbeat for a quick profit of several hundred dollar profit. ;) :p:p :D:D :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I don't see monkey. It looks to me like a Warner's brothers WWII era caricature of a Japanese man.

bercrystal and ola402 like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I would not have looked twice at that item. Thanks Peggy for sharing.

bercrystal likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It's silversmith's interpretation of a Pre-Columbian Pot. They made a quick grand-but they also had to make a $1400 Bet ! I feel safer (and sleep better), keeping my up-front money under a few hundred bucks.
    WOW-they must really know the silver market to take that kind of risk !
    It'll look good on the the Tiki Bar of somebody's 5 million dollar house.

8. bercrystal

When I first saw it I thought it was missing a lid which would have been the head of the monkey. If you look at all of the photos you can see that the tail wraps around & forms the "handle" in the front.

The auctioneer found a couple of others online, including one sold by Sotheby's last year for $3,780.00, that was exactly like this one. There was also one sold by artnet. So either it never had a lid, all 3 had lost their original lid or it is the same ice bucket. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I think it is the first option because when I looked at it closely there was no evidence of a lid around the top edge.

Here is the Sotheby's sale.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc.../a-mexican-silver-monkey-form-ice-bucket-tane

The buyer who got this is one of those types of buyers that like to make others think he knows more than they do & really doesn't back down very often. The problem is there are several of them that go out there regularly & sometimes they keep bidding cause they don't want to lose to the others. ;):rolleyes::rolleyes: It can be a lot of fun to watch when there is lots of silver to be had & he had a butt load that night in the form of goblets, sherbets, flatware & a drop-dead gorgeous basket. :D:D

In one of the descriptions, the auctioneer found the bucket described as a copy of a pre-Columbian statue.

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not the same as the Sotheby's example. The arcs in the eyes are definitely different , as are various tell-tales in the silver.
    Image2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So there are multiples of this out there.

10. pearlsnblume

Good sleuthing MOS.

11. bosko69

Good catch & sleuthing on the Barware front ! Funny-no top for an Ice Bucket. Here's a Napier 'Penguin' Cocktail Shaker,I found a couple these (1 in the '70's,1 in the 80's). One of the better Shakers I ever found was the Zeppelin by J A Henckels.Should've waited 40 years to sell 'em ! Sorry re the abbreviated pic-click on it should pop up.

Attached Files:

kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

Did anyone else catch the blurb at the bottom of the Sotheby's page that said one of these sold at Christy's Rockefeller auction? :happy::happy:

13. bosko69

Grand profit on an Ebay Buy-now that's some fast & fancy dancin' ! I used to glean Ebay obsessively (like a gambling addiction),had to back off around 2010.Got a Job,not as much maniacal fun,but got me Health Insurance & a House...still miss the 'Bay Rush though ! here's my 1st buy (late '90's maybe ?),20-30 bucks i recall-Victorian Wine Carrier/Silverplate.I still have it.

3926714_1.jpg

14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I was thinking 4" in diameter seems a bit small for an ice bucket but I'll bow to wiser minds:)

15. pearlsnblume

SIS I was wondering if you were ok, maybe I missed you posting elsewhere.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh thanks for missing me :kiss:!

I've popped in a bit. I was busy and then I injured a finger that required surgery. Not a big deal but on my right hand and i'm right handed so I've been healing it up.:)

bercrystal, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  17. pearlsnblume

Glad to hear you are ok, take care of your finger and feel good.

say_it_slowly and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted