Featured Here's the Silver I Found This Weekend

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Mar 4, 2018.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Admittedly, I went to a LOT of stores this weekend. I never know exactly what is going to happen, but with the frequency of silver finds I've had lately, it's pretty easy to get disappointed on those days that it just "doesn't happen." I remind myself often that finding silver is a rare occurrence, and to not to feel discouraged on any one day that I come up empty handed. By some miracle, that didn't happen on Saturday or today. I went out yesterday with the goal of going to as many stores as I could in the day. It was on my third store on Saturday that I found some luck.

After my first hour of hunting two stores (and driving) I traveled to a store that has given up a few nice silver pieces in the past. I know that this store gets scoured by other collectors, and I have talked to a few of them when I visit the store. The store isn't super close to where I live, so I don't have the luxury of frequent visitation. I started to look at the section where they place all the plated items, and it looked about the same as last time I visited. After thoroughly looking everything over, I realized I wasn't going to find silver today. I turned my attention to the rest of the store for resale items. After searching through the rest of the store (and also coming up empty) as I was about to leave the store I spotted something on my way out. This particular store has these big blue storage carts on wheels that they use to move out all the items to the store floor. I walked towards it, and at the bottom I saw this large silver looking dish (bon bon dish?). My heart starts racing; who knows if it's plated or real, but I know that it's unlikely that anyone else in the store has checked it out. I grab it and it has a promising feel, it isn't too heavy to be plated, and it looks right, and when I flip it over, I see that wonderful word "STERLING" nice and clear on the back! This thing is big! I quickly went to pay at the register and make my way to more stores. The remaining stores were rather uneventful and my Saturday evening wrapped up.

Today, I decided to try a different part of the city and see what luck I could find. I went to a store about 15 minutes north of me. This store has only produced a very small silver item for me in the past, so I was mainly visiting the store to see if I could find any resell-able items. I was scanning through the store when I got to the metal/flatware section of the store. This store has a very small amount of plated silver items; never a good sign for finding silver. I'm looking through the same aisle I've scanned probably 30 times before and there I see a couple little cordial glasses. My hopes are up, and I'm both nervous and excited at the possibility that they could be real, I flip one over and sure enough it says sterling on the bottom! This is my first time finding any sort of cup/goblet/cordial so I was super excited. The fact that they aren't weighted and a good thickness made it that much more exciting. I continued to search through many stores today and came across one weighted sterling glass bowl (nothing amazing, but I'll take it) and I called it a day. Between the dish, the two cordials and the bowl, I paid $8. I hope you enjoy the photos.

IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2678.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

Aquitaine, wenna, Any Jewelry and 8 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Very nice finds - love the little goblets!

Christmasjoy, judy and MrNate like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm glad someone's finding something. The big lower-priced stores here are all spread out.

Christmasjoy, judy and MrNate like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nice find ....who is giving up all this silver ???
    :wacky::wacky::wacky::wideyed::wideyed:

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The 'too old-fashioned, reminds me of my grandmother' people. They don't even bother to look at the 'fine print'.;)
    Nate's famous nose always sniffs the fine print out, and we get to enjoy the great pictures of his beautiful hoard.:happy:

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Any Jewelry and Komokwa,

I think you’re spot on with the reason people are getting rid of it. I think they honestly just don’t know it’s silver, and if they know it’s silver they must not care. In either case, i’m happy to give these things a home where they will be appreciated ;)

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@MrNate, you DO realize, that eventually, YOU will be POLISHING YOUR BRAINS OUT, don't you?????????? Which is exactly why I sold, a long time ago, most of whatever I had that was silver!!!!! Not all, but most!!!!!

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and MrNate like this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    So I have been polishing my brains out??:eek: Is that what is been happening to me??:rolleyes:How do I get rid of the lust that makes me crazy?:oops:
    greg

9. komokwa

buy gold instead....................:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Lower carat gold tarnishes too sooner or later. Maybe only buy 18k or better?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Aquitaine, you are definitely right, it is a LOT of stuff to polish! I’ll definitely sell it all eventually, but I don’t mind the polishing duties right now. I read an interesting article awhile ago that found that based on the current consumption of silver, we will deplete our world mining supply in 27 years. That’s one of the fastest mineral depletion rates on record. In short, I think the price of silver is going up in the future. When the price goes up enough, I’ll unload it all. PS, today I found a few little pieces:

1968A8A7-B116-4981-BF7F-747869F3944B.jpeg D748A33C-164B-48B0-BFF9-38DD7112EE66.jpeg 2FB0D1A4-50E2-45E2-955F-41FA97C4C35F.jpeg

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  12. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Where the heck are you!! I'm lucky to find a couple small pieces when I go hunting. Perhaps you should give a class on "hunting" :cigar::cigar::cigar:

13. komokwa

That's a nice carving knife !!!

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Coreya,

There’s no huge secret to my success. There’s three key ingredients: A little bit of knowledge, being in the right location, and as many stores as possible. I’m in the northeast of the U.S. right now. I was living on the west coast a few years ago and I never found anything. I got lucky with the two sterling pieces of flatware. I bought a complete set of plated community flatware I’m going to resell, and these were also inside the case.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

OOOOOOOH, YUMMMMMY!!!! NOW, THAT'S an Idea I Love!!!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

MrNate, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted