Heron Cocktail Bar - needing advice

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jburnes, Sep 5, 2019.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

craigslist or facebook marketplace would be the way to go with this. Suspect Austin would have a pretty vibrant market for such goods.

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Owned, that's not how I read it.
    It looks like the father started the furniture company, and the son joined the company in 1954 at 15.

Found this
    https://www.instappraisal.com/appraisal/henry-ronson-art-deco-cabinet-bar

@Jburnes
    If indeed this was made in the 1950s - Don't call it Art Deco. Call it
    Art Deco STYLE.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I was clear as mud. ;) Heron was certainly started post war, the Ronsons didn't get going till then. I know of them quite well, but I hadn't realised the Heron connection.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Cool piece! As Verybrad said, I would think that there HAS to be somebody out there in Austin that wants this. Nice late Deco (style?) shading into mid-20th century retro cool, and liquor related at that!

5. Jburnes

Jburnes New Member

The Wikipedia is a bit vague. It only says the son joined the furniture company in 54 but other than that it doesn't really give any information that indicates when the furniture company started. At the beginning of the article it says that Heron International was founded in 1957, but that was the company they formed to operate in real estate and was an offshoot of the original furniture company.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Correct, but I happen to know the Ronsons didn't start anything much till post war. ;)

7. India Street Antiques

India Street Antiques India Street Antiques - European Antique Furniture

Responding to an older post here, I know, but I find Heron pieces intriguing as they "borrowed" design elements for their cocktail sideboards from Beautility. Heron's difference is the furniture company was short lived and they preferred to work with bird's eye maple veneers.

The Heron name comes from Henry Ronson, Gerald Ronson's father, thus Heron Son.

They created these sideboards post-WWII, beginning in 1953, but became quickly embroiled in a lawsuit over their initial business name, Ronson Furniture. The Ronson lighter company sued them over use of the name.

They became involved with real estate and turned their attentions to that by 1957. So, the furniture enterprise was short-lived.

I have been doing research on their British Standards Institute (BSI) license number, and my research has led me to BELIEVE it is 2066; however, I am still working to establish this as correct. If I can establish that as fact, we can document more Heron pieces.

Pattywithay and Bookahtoo like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thank you for this information! :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted