Hey guys anyone know if this is old?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Mikeyaces, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

D50720A4-2537-4EDA-BE0F-89BA6A47B45F.jpeg 4957C1D0-DEA9-4EF2-8C42-94D507A278EF.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It depends on what you consider old. 30-40 years the piece could be a little older or newer.Without a known makers mark it is hard to tell.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could u get us a clear close up of the silver marks on the item itself ?

judy likes this.
  5. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

AF6CFF02-2702-4D24-BEC1-F12B5DD46C51.jpeg
    Okay you mean here? B599470B-F02B-4F7F-BE7B-042310BE2B9E.jpeg 649119FC-DBEE-4904-86E5-9EAD96047494.jpeg

6. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Here’s one with flash
    E4E52C48-D4C6-48A6-ACF4-C93390ED6632.jpeg

komokwa and judy like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A Florentine souvenir. No idea how long they've been made. As per the label, it's a panel from the "Paradise" door of the Florence Baptistery by Ghiberti - a sort of proto-renaissance work.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    komokwa and judy like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The R in square, grams and 925 in oval tells me this was made in Italy, late 20th century. The layer of silver is covering a resin like backing that created the 3D image.

See the explanation of "Riempito" about 3/4 of the way done the page in this link

http://www.silvercollection.it/italianhallmarks.html

komokwa and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

I think the marking is American silver Richard van dyke or van hoorn?

10. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Here is a pic from the side showing it’s a full piece of silver I think no resin backing.

64932F20-980B-4086-8F33-E587157C3534.jpeg

11. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Sorry meant Van Voorhis and Richard

12. Bakersgma

I don't see any marking here for either of the American makers you are suggesting. Can you get a clear pic of it?

There is yet another Italian marking there between the 925 and the GR - Not well punched but it is the maker's region and registration number. Can you get a close look at that?

komokwa likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree with above. A decorative plaque bought as a souvenir from Florence. The kind of thing that's sold in bomboniere shops. From the inner liner and frame, I'd guess 1970s-ish but could, of course, be later.

Debora

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  14. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Hopefully these images help a little... BF92FEB4-2473-4380-AC5F-D8499B076890.jpeg 00129FC4-2D3F-4DC6-B697-A4C672A6948F.jpeg

15. Bakersgma

Yup, that helps prove the piece was made in Italy. Rectangular regional registration with slightly pointed ends. The entire combination of markings would never have been present on a piece made in the US.

But just to follow up on my request for a picture of what you think is the mark of a US maker - where is it?

komokwa and DragonflyWink like this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It is not American, nor is it old - as noted on the link provided by Bakersgma, the Riempito 'R' mark was introduced in 1999, so that would be the earliest production, the marks on the descriptive plate indicate sterling by a Florence maker.

~Cheryl

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  17. Mikeyaces

Mikeyaces Active Member

Hi Bakersgma,

Im new to all this but was looking at silver American markings and the V and R I thought were from Van Voorhis.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

there seems to be a strong opinion against that being the case........;)

Mikeyaces likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

blooey likes this.
  20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've got one of these, mine is from Greece and depicts some old Greek thing. Silver is mighty thin, not much more than a foil but of course a big fuss on the label about it being sterling. Tourist stuff.

Fid and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted