Hi Any help on these three baskets, please?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, Sep 11, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_0122 2.jpg IMG_0121 4.jpg IMG_0122 3.jpg IMG_0070 2.jpg IMG_0072 2.jpg IMG_0073 2.jpg IMG_0048 2.jpg IMG_0058 2.jpg

Hi I need help on these baskets Not sure if any are old or anything but I do not know what to even call them in order to research them I do think I have identified the last basket with the leather strap It appears that it is an African Bolga basket but not sure if it is old or not Any information you can provide is very much appreciated Sorry if posting in here is wrong but I could not figure out where else to post it to ask

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The second one looks like a "chip and dip" server. Is the small circle one permanently attached in that spot?

Christmasjoy, gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It has no bottom of its own, more like a collar to hold something there.

Christmasjoy, gauntlettgems and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's why I asked about it being permanently attached. A small bowl might go in there.

gauntlettgems, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It does. It ought to have a small glass or stainless bowl - generally glass. Salsa goes there, chips go on the outside. The first one is a random hot plate from the look of it.

gauntlettgems, Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

upload_2018-9-11_16-2-36.png

This one is a chinese or asian Zaru, which is normally used for preparing food. (drying food.)

I still remember when I was very young, my grandma used it when she made many dumpling and use it to set a while before cooking them. Also, she used it to dry peanuts, salted pork, salted fish, pepers, etc under the sun.

7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The third one, with the leather-covered handle, is African, a traditional style basket from the Bolgatanga region of Ghana, sometimes just called a "Bolga market basket." They are still being made for the tourist and export trade, and widely available.

If you want to confirm this identification, they are illustrated in "Art of the Basket, Traditional Basketry from Around the World," by Bryan Sentance, and offered for sale on a number of websites, found by doing an image search on Google for "Bolgatanga basket"

8. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Hi Ty everyone I thought the one with the cloth might be native American of some sort Yay, I was right about one thing!!! The middle bowl is attached on the second one

The one with cloth is like over 20” in diameter, would that still be a potholder?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted