Hi, can anyone help date this metal & crystal chandelier I picked up please?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by MrD, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MrD

MrD Member

Hi, I picked this up from a large Victorian house in Hampstead, London, the owner was renovating and did not know any history, it is appropriately 800mm in height & 900mm in diameter, it takes small bc fitting bulbs, the main body seems to be grey painted but the leaves seem like zinc.
    Thanks. BECE69A7-C238-4151-B260-4AFD208DA72A.jpeg

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Might not be so very old, or the prisms may have been replaced.

It looks like the connectors are shiny brass. Is that correct?
    upload_2018-4-8_10-15-33.png

3. MrD

MrD Member

Hi, Yes you are right, looking at it, some of the connections do look like they have been replaced, but some are very dull wire.
    Thanks

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If the majority of prisms are dull wire, with only a few to replace lost or broken, then I would put the lamp at an earlier time period.

Wait for other opinions.
    BTW - Welcome to the board.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My first MIL had a wonderful four tier upside down wedding cake living room chandelier. It was missing about 25 prisms. The wire hangers were iron instead of brass and rusting away. I took it down and rewired all of the prisms with solid brass. It should last another 100 years. Five years later the brass pins had all oxidized and everything looked original again.
    greg

aaroncab likes this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

This is very much like the all metal floral lamps that were coming from Italy in the 1950's and are still popular in my area. Maybe the '50's lamps and ceiling fixtures were patterned after this earlier version with the crystals and metal.
    If you are somewhat handy, you could probably fashion a replacement for the missing element on the upper right. Find 5 right size prisms, wire them together, cut a metal star shape, drill a center hole and there ya' go, good as new!

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

High end 1980s, I suspect. And I agree Italian. Anything on the inside of the bulb holders? Can you get a close up?

8. MrD

MrD Member

I, Thanks for all the advice, I decided to strip it down,mostly to clean and get the wiring checked, as has been said it doesn’t look to be of any age, as you can see from these photos, but I think I’ll clean it up and put in some new wire, hang it and see. Thanks D10C332F-C6B8-4508-A65A-6EA68DC1C78A.jpeg D7302A0D-B4B8-4EC0-BD36-494D1840ADB1.jpeg 0BDD943A-6CB5-40BE-A5D3-D392A2D3D0D2.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those clear pics show newer hardware...and lack of age...

It's a learning thing !!! :)

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, modern. Kema Keur is a Belgian/Dutch quality mark, as is CEBEC. That green/yellow earth is modern as well. It's post 1977 at the very least, but the rest of it looks 1980s or later. It may well still be Italian in terms of the fitment.