Hi guys... I need some help identifying!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hannah tadlock, Jan 18, 2020.

1. hannah tadlock

hannah tadlock New Member

Hello,

So I've actually never joined any kind of forum before, but I've heard they're helpful. I don't know anything about antiques or fine china but I'd love to figure out what exactly my grandmother gave me for Christmas years ago... She didn't tell me anything about it and I didn't ever ask because I was 18 and unfortunately didn't think to ask. Anyways, I think it's worth something. There's absolutely no writing on it, the only identification is a marking. I've tried to google it but no luck. It looks like a half oval with 3 lines going horizontally and a dot between the top 2. I'll attach pictures. If anyone has any ideas what this is or what it might be, please let me know! Or where I should go or who I should go to figure it out.

Attached Files:

• now?.jpg
      now?.jpg
      File size:
      311.8 KB
      Views:
    • hhh.jpg
      hhh.jpg
      File size:
      903 KB
      Views:
    kyratango likes this.
  2. necollectors

necollectors Well-Known Member

Welcome! Nice to see young people starting to take an interest in antiques! They are history!
    Looks like Royal Vienna...very nice...could be very old...That mark is called a beehive...
    Others will be by soon to offer more help...But you can start there!

kyratango and judy like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Hannah.

judy likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome! The beehive/shield was used by many factories but I think yours may be from Erdmann Schlegelmilch because as described below, it is easily identifiable as it included a dot.

https://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/germany/thuringia/suhl-01/index.php

One of the marks used by this manufacturer is often referred to as the 'beehive' mark, which in reality represents a banded shield used first by the k.k. Ärarial-Manufactur Wien (Royal Porcelain Manufactury) in Vienna (Austria), but because so many people see it as a beehive that is what it has become known as. All 'beehive' marks are extremely ambiguous and problematic because over the years many European porcelain manufacturers 'borrowed' it or invented their own variation, thus making identification very difficult. In case of the beehive used by Erdmann Schlegelmilch though it is easily identifiable as it included a dot. This mark was frequently used on porcelain decorated with mythical, classical or allegorical scenes with borders typically held in deep wine, dark green or cobalt blue.

The last mark shown down below (also shown in the book 'Marks of Prussia' by Ron Capers) is a distributor mark sometimes found on otherwise unmarked Erdmann Schlegelmilch items. Note that does *not* mean that *every* item marked with this stamp automatically is a Schlegelmilch item!

[​IMG]
    Image 1-08
    Used from 1891 onwards, 'beehive'/'Bindenschild' often found in combination with other marks.

aaroncab, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Hannah!

Welcome to Antiquers............

I agree with necollectors that it's wonderful to see young people becoming interested in antiques.

kyratango likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Hannah, and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!! Nice to see you're obviously computer saavy as you got your images up!! Next time, just click on the very top image in the list that says "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS A FULL IMAGE" and we'll all get to seem that way, without having to click on thumbnails!!!! Thanks! Nice dish, BTW!!!:):):) Oh, and don't forget to post the sizes of items!!! You're off to a great start:happy::happy::happy:

kyratango likes this.
  7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Hannah!! :happy::happy::happy:

It appears to be a small trinket or dresser box. It can hold anything you want it to from nothing to jewelry. I think the design on top is suppose to represent the 3 Graces.

Besides choosing full images if you would make sure the orientation is correct that would also be most helpful. Your box wasn't too bad to decipher, but sometimes photos are posted that we have to practically stand on our heads to view. ;):p:):)

kyratango likes this.
  8. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Please don't build your hopes up as to value. It looks transfer printed and not worth a lot. The value is in the memories of your grandmother.

say_it_slowly and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted