Hi ! Small glass vase - name for shape? Decade or era made?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I am curious if this shape has a name or how it is typically referred to. Also, I wonder when you think it's birthday might be. The glass is quite thin. 20180409_143656.jpg 20180409_143656.jpg 20180409_143856.jpg 20180409_144235.jpg 20180409_144433.jpg 20180409_144547.jpg 20180409_144625.jpg

Attached Files:

Houseful and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Empoli probably,but could be someone else.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it hand blown? If so Tlaquepaque 1970s.

Debora

4. Tom Mackay

Thanks. Any info is good when one starts at zero, as I usually do !

5. Tom Mackay

Hand blown ? err....honestly, I don't know. There's no seam.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Empoli.

judy likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sure looks as if it could be Mexican to me but no expert. For comparison, here's a quick photograph of the vase, of a much simpler design, that's been sitting on my window sill.

Debora

IMG_6807.jpg

8. Tom Mackay

OK, this is great. Thanks.
    Additional info - the glass is just over 1mm thick, measured at the rim.
    If this is from a maker in the Empoli region of Italy, could its age be guesstimated? Could it have been made last week?
    Is there a name for this shape?
    "Double-bubble ruffle-top with a twist"?
    Probably not.:rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

To me it looks Mexican like florist vase from the grocery flower department. My mother would have called a "dime store" vase.

judy likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A very good example of why it's so important to train the eye. If hand blown, that vase was done by someone with a great deal of skill. A real craftsman. Not only demonstrated by the intricate shape but by the fact that it's truly symmetrical and lacking bubbles. Not at all to be confused with this vintage FTD vase. (Just look, for instance, at the "Libbey lip.")

Debora

FTD Vase.jpg

11. Tom Mackay

Hi Debora ! How can I tell if it's hand-blown? What sort of photos would help someone else determine that?
    TYIA.
    I bought it for an old-fashioned "Dime Store" price because I found the shape quite interesting. It's 8 inches tall and weighs 110 grams.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry, I know nothing about glass. But so many knowledgeable people here. Surely someone else can answer that question for you.

Debora

13. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

In this case it would mean that the molten glass was gathered by a human on a blow pipe who then blew air into the gather which was in a mold to create the pattern in the glass. This is regularly with automatic machinery in a say a bottle factory, Your vase was then manipulated by a team to create the final shape.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted