HINDU THRIFT STORE FIND - BRONZE? ELEPHANT w/ 3 RIDERS ON BLACK STONE BASE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jul 17, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is the 3rd Hindu? (not sure if this falls under that) piece I found at a local thrift store; it depicts a elephant with driver? and 2 passengers.
    It is solid and heavy, but the heaviness is partly the black stone base it is attached to (with 60s? slot screws). There are also screws holding the driver on (at his legs) and for some reason at the bottom of the elephant - on both sides - in the middle of it's blanket where it parts (is something missing from there?)
    It also appears like a tent or cover is missing over the riders; there are 4 small holes (1 at each corner) on the platform? they are sitting on.
    Is this bronze or brass or copper? Is there a way to test/tell? (at the base of the tail (2nd from last photo) there is either a repair or it was soldered? - maybe that can help someone tell?
    Does it have a religious meaning (the driver appears to be wearing make up & looks kinda like a lion to me; see 3rd photo) - or is it just a decorative statue?
    Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 1AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 1AAA_A.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 1BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 1CAA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 2AA_AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 2AAA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY BUDDHA ELEPHANT WITH RIDERS 5AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i doubt that is bronze..

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The word 'mahout' would be useful to you.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, probably from Kashmir, NW India. Missing some pieces, but still an eyecatcher.
    Most of Kashmir is Muslim, btw. But I wouldn't mention any religion if you list it. There is no way of telling the religion of the maker, and it is irrelevant to the piece.
    You could add Indo-Persian, and enamel.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    antidiem, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Some mahouts resting by their elephants, waiting for tourists:
    [​IMG]

6. journeymagazine

Thank you Any Jewelry!!

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

They do trust their animals!!

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

They usually have a lifelong relationship with the elephants. Young boys and baby elephants often grow up together and are good friends. You can also see that these elephants are not chained.

9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Baby elephants and young boys.......love at first sight!!

TY for explaining.

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The two riders on the howdah but the canopy is missing, probably got bent or broken from dropping the lid. Still a beautiful piece. I was scared to death riding on an elephant. My agoraphobia did not click on until the elephant started to move.
    greg

11. journeymagazine

When I was a small child - too young to remember - my grandparents had either side shows in a carnival or owned the carnival. Before she passed my grandmom used to show us pictures and told us we were the most popular kids in our town because in the off season we kept elephants in our farm's pasture instead of cows!
    Elephants are one of the most intelligent animals in the world and even though I'm "with it" (meaning your in the circus/carnival life; saying that got us free admission & rides at any carnival or circus), I am so happy the old circus has gone away. What a miserable life for a intelligent creature being chained to a stake all day & being made to perform unusual acts and behaviors every night.

12. journeymagazine

What do you think its made of?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

brass , comes to mind.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. journeymagazine

My thought too. Thank you

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

It is generally called brass, but many Asian alloys don't correspond 100% to Western alloys.

Bronwen and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted