Hmong/Laotian Framed Embroidery???

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Chiquita, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Chiquita

Chiquita Well-Known Member

Hi All!

You all are a wealth of knowlege so thanks in advanced! Learning a lot reading posts about all things antique.

Asking for your help again with framed embroidery. This is one of two I got for under $3.00. I tried to research but only found one similar on ebay posted as "Hmong/Laotian Refugee Framed Embroidery" from the 70s. I am trying to find more info about the piece and age so I uploaded pictures of front and back. Thanks again. Chiquita 3DC31E4E-3D30-478E-9677-A8E0A29FB308.jpeg BEC26956-9567-42AC-A9B5-A1253B56C0D6.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me. These were very popular in the 70's as a way of helping the Hmong people who were persecuted by the regime in power.

Jivvy and Chiquita like this.
  3. Chiquita

Thank you. Reminds me if the molas from Panama. Totally different but seeing this framed brought childhood memories. :D

Jivvy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Try a google search for "Hmong reverse applique". You will find many nice examples.

Chiquita, Jivvy and i need help like this.
  5. Chiquita

Thank you! I will

Draft saved Draft deleted