Hobbs #101 or Fenton Daisy and Button

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jen and George, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Jen and George

Jen and George Well-Known Member

How do I discover whether this lidded jar is Hobbs or Fenton? It is unmarked. It is shown on the Pattern Glass website as Hobbs#101 and on eBay as Fenton Ice Bucket Lidded Candy Jar. It is a nice piece and when I purchased it I also purchased 2 Hobbs oil lamps. I thought it was Fenton until today when I saw it on the Pattern glass website. Now I am really confused.

Attached Files:

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not sure I can help much but it does look like Fenton's Daisy and Button covered candy box #1980 produced in the late 1970's, early 1980's. I think the color would be Colonial Blue but I'm having trouble confirming that Fenton produced #1980 in colonial blue. I've found it in milk glass (as part of the Old Virginia Glass line) and pekin blue (an opaque blue). Will keep checking.
    Don

Jen and George likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Just confirmed it. Colonial Blue Daisy and Button Candy Box - Ware No. 1980-CB from 1968-1971. Source is Walk's "Fenton Art Glass Patterns 1939-1980" book, page 250.

4. Jen and George

That's what I thought until I saw this today on PatternGlass.com listed in sugar bowls.[​IMG]
    DAISY & BUTTON by
    Hobbs Brockunier was their pattern #101
    made ca. 1884. The finial is facetted.
    Deep blue on the left. $95
    In amber on the right $85

antidiem likes this.
  5. Jen and George

How do you tell them apart?

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

look at the lids: the lid on Hobbs' 101 is smooth on top with the D&B design on the underside. The Fenton D&B lid had the design on the top so it can more easily collect dust...

7. Jen and George

Thank you. I knew there must be a difference. The Hobbs' designers were obviously the more intelligent.

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. Jen and George

Thanks for the information.

komokwa and dgbjwc like this.
  9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

10. Jen and George

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The finial on the Hobbs No. 101 Sugar is not only faceted, but ground and polished. Fenton eliminated this in a cost cutting move.

gregsglass likes this.
  12. Jen and George

Thank you for your answer.

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this... I think I may have the base in amber, but no top. It was part of my mother's collection, so I didn't know what it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted