Featured Hohner Harmonicas lighted sign box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Oct 15, 2020.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

I won this sign box at auction yesterday. As you’ll see, it was absolutely filthy when I brought it home. After a thorough clean, rewiring with new cloth-covered wire, and a new light bulb, I’m very happy with it! The sign appears to have been made by L.A. Elkington of New York City. The artwork, advertising Hohner harmonicas, is lithographed. Early research would seem to indicate the sign dates to somewhere between 1920 and 1927 (best guess is 1926-27) based on the name and address of the manufacturer and the slogan being used by Hohner. I’ve not been successful in finding another example of this sign so, if you know of one or have any info to add about it, I’d love to hear from you!

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. Portrait of the owner's son. Company began to use in 1924. "...the "Hohner Boy" which appeared on Hohner posters, counter displays and book covers starting in about 1924." And certainly 1920s from the women's clothing.

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/10/prweb3134764.htm

Debora

3. David Askett

Thank you, Debora! That’s great information. I especially like that the Norman Rockwell painting of the son is entitled “That Musical Pal of Mine”, a phrase that appears on this sign.

judy, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What a transformation! Did you know it would clean up so well?

CheersDears and judy like this.
  5. David Askett

No, I had no idea!

Bronwen and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted