Holland water pitcher pretty blue bird is it Royal Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180708_174409.jpg 20180708_174645.jpg 20180708_174453.jpg 20180708_174624.jpg 20180708_174524.jpg This pitcher is 12 5/8" and has a small chip on the rim.main question is is it Royal Copenhagen?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It does say Holland on the bottom, not Denmark, you know. It was made by Schoonhoven.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is Schoonhoven? For Schoonhoven I have either the SK mark in a crest, or the written name Schoonhoven.
    The crown mark is used by several Dutch ceramics manufacturers.
    The signature looks very much like that of one of the Plateelbakkerij Flora painters. Flora also used the crown mark.

It is lovely, by the way.
    Copenhagen is the capital of Denmark. Holland is the name of two provinces on the west coast of The Netherlands, capitals The Hague and Haarlem.:)

i need help, Mugzinnys and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Seems to say Royal Jubilee on the bottom. Has there been a Netherlands monarch who celebrated a jubilee in the 20th C?

i need help and Mugzinnys like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

We don't usually make such a big thing of royal jubilees as the Brits do, because our relationship with royalty is not like the British tradition, so I'll have to look it up.
    There was Queen Wilhelmina's 40 yr jubilee in 1938, which was before Flora. But I am not 100% sure this is Flora.
    I'll do some more jubilee digging.;)

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Of course, Wilhelmina was still around in 1948, so it could be her 50th jubilee.:banghead: She abdicated just after that.
    The Flora factory was 1945-94.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  7. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180708_174613.jpg Would this be considered Delftware?
    Thanks for the history lesson AJ
    The name Wilhelmina conjures up in my my mine a strout Nords woman with a Viking Hat with a sword in hand ready to kick so Butt. I also had an aunt names Wilhelmina strong as an oxen big tall and strong. It is a lovely piece of Holland art. What type of bird is that?

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. Any Jewelry

It wouldn't. This is made in the Dutch Art Nouveau-Art Deco ceramics style, but probably slightly later.
    If this is Flora, I seem to remember that some of their designers worked with Gouda before they came to, or even founded, Flora.

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted