Featured Holy jackpot!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Asleep indeed. It just blended in with the rest of the plated stuff, and the second I picked it up and took a peek at the marks, my heart skipped a beat. It's times like this that I get to practice my "poker face" at the cash register.

cxgirl, Lucille.b, *crs* and 4 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'll take this please. (LOL)

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Tell you what, I'll give you $6.00 for the teapot right now! You double your money, I get a nice piece of silver, and with what you've just made, you can buy the whole damn set, along with the tray... :p

Figtree3, Lucille.b, *crs* and 5 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Sweet find! It’s a tea pot, not kettle, you put a kettle on the stove to boil water, you make the tea in a tea pot. Semantics I know ;)

Ar you going to restore the handle an knob? Are they painted wood?

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Easier: "Take the Kettle to the Pot." :)

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good to know the difference, I'm terrible at the semantics/language of these items so I appreciate the knowledge. Regarding the handle, yes I would like to do that. I'm thinking if I gently sand down the wood and then apply some sort of oil and keep it without paint. Does anyone have experience doing this?

8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great finds -- And once again will say that you have a good eye, and good instincts.

Aquitaine, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I agree :joyful:

Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I would strip off the black paint and repaint it. I would use shiny black paint made for barbeques. If you would like the look with none of the work. I would use old fashioned stove polish.
    greg

MrNate, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I might go straight to the glass paint. It's tough and adheres well to just about anything. It comes in a little plastic bottle, or did - but not the stuff in the squeeze tube with the narrow tip on it.

Aquitaine, MrNate and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

WOWSER, what a fantastic find Mr Nate!!!:) It looks so much better polished, did you polish the inside too?
    If selling I wouldn't bother with the knob and handle.

MrNate and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you cxgirl, I did polish the inside too. It had some built up residue and the perfectionist in me couldn't leave it tarnished. I'm definitely looking at options for the knob and handle, tonight I had BIGGER things to deal with ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    cxgirl likes this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

more silver:)?

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

much more..........but not nicer.................:rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p

16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Personally, think it would look prettier with a natural wood handle and knob - perhaps after stripping off the black, you can decide which you'd prefer...

~Cheryl

17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking also. I'll definitely strip it down and then take a look at the tone of wood, I'm thinking perhaps a low gloss wood rubbing oil would be nice.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I like that...but a darker color would set the silver off even more......
    I'd go dark blue !!

19. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

I know that feeling picked up a four piece solid silver before Christmas Elkington from the 1960’s , I savoured that feeling when I was Going out of the shop .Happened again when I picked up three rare Harry Potter first editions a couple of weeks ago was dancing on air.

20. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted