Hope this is allowed - asking for another forum/group - Pottery query

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Messilane, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like tiny shards of something to make the letters and the line designs. Would they need to be ceramic material to survive firing?

2. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Thanks, Don. I will pass that on to her.

Bakers, little shards is what it looks like to me as well.

Here is what she said about the little pieces -
    "I have no idea what the little white pieces are. They look sorta like pieces of glass or something. There are few that are in different colors.".

So you may be right about bits of china.

I will ask whereabouts she lives.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Didn't realize that this was so small. I think this probably nixes the sewer tile factory idea.

4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Agree with Don that the shards look to be china (a few seem to have bits of blue), and that contacting Crocker might be helpful. I'm much more familiar with metals and may be totally off-base, but something about the shape of the bottle, the inlaid bits, the little flowers, scalloped bands and swags made me think of Mexico. Poked around a bit, not finding much, but the clip below, from a report on the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exposition mentions, "earthenware of red coarse body, inlaid with fragments of glazed pottery".

mexicanpotteryinlaid1876reportsphiladelphiaexpo.JPG

Old pottery shards with feldspar chips, mentioning other decorative elements and production into the 20th century: https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/histarch/gallery_types/type_index_display.asp?type_name=FELDSPAR-INLAID REDWARE

A Mexican pitcher with a similar scalloped border and inlay of what the seller thinks is shell, I can't tell, perhaps feldspar, or maybe china shards too - given the mark, doubt there's much real age to this piece: https://www.etsy.com/listing/217765113/mexico-red-clay-pottery-marked-mejico

A similarly shaped Mexican water bottle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Tonala-Burnished-Pottery-Vase-Water-Bottle-circa-1900-/171786146831?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=171786146831&_rdc=1&nma=true&si=UpSDAzFkOKX667TL9gimJiWOfYo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Taupou likes this.
  5. Messilane

They do look, and sound, somewhat like the one I'm asking about, but I personally think the inlay work is much finer on it.

6. DragonflyWink

Just giving my thoughts and perhaps a direction to go, clearly I'm very much mistaken, since the one similar item I found is indeed of lesser quality and most likely of less age - was obviously an idiot to think there might be a connection...

~Cheryl

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This list of abbreviations of ancestral Christian names in the UK gives both "Rob" and "Robt" as abbreviations for Robert.

https://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/BritishNames.pdf

Messi, when you first posted you said you thought you got a Scottish vibe. When I looked for the name in Ancestry.com, there were links to men named Robert P Penman in Scotland, but I didn't check them out.

I don't have the Ancestry module that lets you see European historical documents. Someone else in the forum might.

9. Messilane

Cheryl, I hope you didn't feel I was twitting you!
    I fully agree on the shapes, and the technique, but just felt that they were a bit rougher than the one from the Group.

Pat, when I first went looking for something to back up my (weak) feeling it may be Scottish, I ran into that name a few times myself. Couldn't find that any of them made pottery though. :(

10. DragonflyWink

Sorry, Messi, not feeling well - obviously just hit me wrong, probably just a reaction to too many folks not even bothering to thank those who try to help, or so convinced of their own belief regarding an item, they lash out at anyone suggesting it might be something different, or even worse, arguing when firm proof is provided, occasionally adding personal insult. Nice of you to try and help whoever this belongs to, thought it was an interesting piece and clearly uncommon...

~Cheryl

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Messi, perhaps it was made for Mr. Penman and he wasn't a potter himself?

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Here's an 1899 death notice from an Indiana newspaper for a Robert P. Penman who was born in Scotland. If it's the right Mr. Penman and the piece is Scottish, he could have brought it with him when he emigrated.

"April 3. Robert P. Penman, exporter to Great Britain of hard wood lumber, died this aiternoon oi Bright's disease. He was born in Scotland and came to this country fifteen years ago. and was one of the prominent lumbermen of Indiana."

https://newspapers.library.in.gov/c...8990404.1.3&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN------

13. Messilane

Thank you to everyone!
    The woman has sent an e-mail with photos to Crockers and said if she learned anything from them she would let me know first. Heehee
    I will then come here and let you all know.
    She/we know it may not "be" what we would like, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Cheryl, I have been under the weather and horrible pain for the last few weeks, and acting like a bear with a sore paw, so you have ALL my sympathy.

Pat, you are probably right about it being the customer's name rather than the potter's. I should have thought of that.

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Messi, I've been under the weather myself and not sleeping well, so you and Cheryl and anyone else going through health stuff have my sympathies as well.

15. DragonflyWink

Feel for y'all and for anyone in pain - my health and pain issues are very mild compared to so many others, including a good number of folks here who deal with some serious stuff. My sister-in-law has been battling various forms of cancer for a few years now and they just found more cells - and my wimpy complaint at the moment is that one of my chronic sinus infections has settled into the roots of my teeth, always makes me tired and cranky, but at least I know it will go away in a few days...

~Cheryl

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ouch, Cheryl. I've had sinus stuff on and off over the years, but it never affected my teeth... until the last few months! I've been experiencing tooth pain that comes and goes and moves around to different teeth. Don't wish it on anyone. :(

My sympathies go out to your sister-in-law.

17. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes, as I said in my post, most were glass.
    These are some rather fancy ones by Wedgwood.
    https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=wedgwood barber bottle

Also the link I posted before, says that clients names were often put on bottles.

I'm not saying this is indeed a barber's bottle missing its stopper. Only what it made me think of.

18. Messilane

Oh, gosh, Cluttered - indeed you did say that. My only excuse is that it was very early when I read your post, and I was not *really* awake. :sorry:

19. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Strong coffee works for this.;)

No offense taken. I often misread posts.:facepalm:

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I've come to realize that at my age, pain is a part of life. Mine is minor compared to many, so I try not to whine.

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted