Featured Hopefully a quickie... is this Central Glass Works or a Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Dec 19, 2017.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

I was pretty excited when I recently recognized a pattern that matched some pieces I had acquired a while back, all thanks to learning what "greek keys" and "swag" looked like. It matched with Central Glass Works etch #405. I was getting ready to list the item but decided to do one more comparison. I realized that what I had did not exactly match what this vendor had listed on Etsy. Main difference being the flower in the middle of the swag is etched on her piece while mine is gray cut... it's the only part of it that's not etched. Thoughts? Btw, this wine glass measures 6" tall. IMG_1348_rsz.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its not something that would have been reproduced. Production could have had two versions, one more costly.

justjeff likes this.
  3. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Is that statement based on its age, style of manufacture or lack of demand? Those were the only possibilities my brain could come up with so if it fits outside of that box, I would still love to hear the answer ;)

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The skilled work in making the etching means that reproductions are not worth the effort, Schmidt in his Central Glass book said he had trouble finding a sample to photo for the book. My reaction to the difference is that the cutting was done in the after market to distinguish it from others retailers goods.

justjeff likes this.
  5. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Btw, thank you for the replies. Really enjoying learning about this stuff. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted