Featured Hoping to find these earrings for myself - What are they called?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by scoutshouse, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @scoutshouse ....thin to thick, gold with small diamonds on/around them????? About 1/2 dollar size????? (the hoops, NOT the diamonds!!) I'm going to do some digging......just to see......if I still have a memory!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    scoutshouse and kyratango like this.
  2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Damonds?? Hadn't contemplated that!

kyratango likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got lots of those, all clips. Love them.

scoutshouse likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

5. Ownedbybear

Goldtone, yes.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

A pair will come my way ;)

7. Ownedbybear

Hmm..... ;) Let me see if there's a pair I can part with. ;) They are CLIPS, tho'!

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

O! That wasn't a hint! :bag:

Still, I'd be happy to wear any reject of yours, @Ownedbybear :)

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  10. scoutshouse

So, it's NOT just me! LOL

Thanks, @Jivvy

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Jivvy

good lord, no. As @Debora mentioned, easy enough find in any cheap material, but not so much fine jewelry.

I did find a pair that I thought would be good, but they are SOLD OUT everywhere. Plus, best price I found them for was $775 (still, sold out).
    0400095772317_300x400.jpg

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  12. Jivvy

13. Jivvy

last tip before I beg off... try searching: door knocker hoops

hit and miss, but best search I've seen for getting close...

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. scoutshouse

You'd think in all the years I've been looking there would have been a few that got away. I do see that basic shape often, but invariably more ornate.

Anyhoo, Creole, bad girl, vixen, gypsy. Vintage movie stylists used them to indicate some kind of half caste or mixed race wild thang.

That deadlyisthefemale.com (hint,hint) also website calls them Barbie earrings! :)

I'm pretty sure Katherine Hepburn is wearing a pair in "the Little Minister," playing a gypsy.

[​IMG]

Thanks, guys!

Any Jewelry and Jivvy like this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@scoutshouse, PHEW!!!! Did my digging, and MUCH to my surprise, it was easier than I thought, but might NOT be what you're looking for.....just throwing them in to the mix.....these were my Mom's and think she had bought them back in the '50s....she wore them a lot....pierced....one backing missing.....for the life of me I can find NO marking on them......and if you did happen to be interested I'd have to take them to a couple of jewelers for appraisals......as I honestly haven't a clue!! There are 9 small (tiny) diamonds on each and each one you can barely see is set inside of an outline of an engraved star. If your curiosity is up, I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow.....only night light tonight.....but not flash......what looks like a deep set scratch by one diamond must be a hair, 'cuz I can't find it!! I can put one on if you want to see how they hang.......

EARRINGS-1.jpg EARRINGS-2.jpg EARRINGS-3.jpg EARRINGS-4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    KSW, Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  16. scoutshouse

Wow @Aquitaine

Those are charming! I had a Crown Trifary fur pin years ago in that style, but "diamonds" were flush.

What a swanky mom you had! Are you sure you don't want to hang on to them?

[​IMG]

I would be interested, but... there's a windfall coming my way, but I don't really know when :woot:

It's not a style I normally wear, so I should head on down to Marshall's and try some on.

Thank you for going to all that trouble! <3!

KSW, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have something similar hanging around in my own stash. (need pictures) They're black glass double hoop clip-ons and they're straight 50s. They came from a yard sale not too far from here held by a Russian family. I've tried wearing them a few times, but clip-ons hurt me. I'll have to dig in my bakelite pile tomorrow too and see what crops up.

KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

I am very happy to be hinted at. ;) Seriously, if I do unearth a pair or two, I'll holler. I have literally several hundred pairs of earrings.

KSW, Aquitaine and scoutshouse like this.
  19. evelyb30

Found the black glass ones and a bakelite pair in a light brown swirl. Now to get the pictures uploaded....

KSW and scoutshouse like this.
  20. evelyb30

Draft saved Draft deleted