Featured Horn spoon?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Dec 21, 2017.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Hi, everybody:

I have this horn spoon, approximately 7-7/8" long, that I presume is Scottish in origin. As you'll see in the attached photos, it has a metal (silver?) shield on the handle with an engraved monogram, and a metal end piece that is hand-engraved on three of the four sides. The remaining side is quite plain, but does have what appears to be a small stamped marking - a duty mark, perhaps? Please see the extreme closeup photo - this marking is small!

Now, I can't find any hallmarks and so I'm wondering, is it terribly unusual for a silver item to have a duty mark without any hallmarks? Also, can anyone give me an idea of how old this spoon may be? Finally, any idea what the initials in the monogram might be?

Sorry for all the questions, but horn spoons are not exactly something I know much about! Anyway, here are a few photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It looks fibrous like rhino horn.

kyratango and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. David Askett

Thanks, Hollyblue. Yes, it does look like rhino horn, but I expect this spoon is probably made of something much more mundane, like cow horn.

kyratango, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

5. David Askett

These spoons were normally made of cow horn, so I assumed this one was, too. Perhaps I was wrong!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Lots are, but this looks darker. If it's rhino it'll need a lot more documentation if it's to be sold.

kyratango, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Cow horn can be dark as well, so can other horns, like (water)buffalo.

808 raver, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You look to have three tiny hallmarks on that. But it's not unusual for wee silver to have no marking at all. Not sure it's cow, might be deer - which fits with Scottishness.

DragonflyWink and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Don't think stag horn. Maybe ram's horn, also very Scottish.

judy likes this.
  10. David Askett

Thanks to all who have replied. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Ownedbybear, I’d wondered about the three tiny marks below what I think is a duty mark. If only I had an electron microscope to help me read them, if they are in fact hallmarks. Would be especially interesting to get a date letter.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I think it's more likely that the duty mark is a maker's mark: it's common for them to be larger than hallmarks.

judy and kyratango like this.
  12. David Askett

Ah, I only thought duty mark because, to my eye, it seemed to resemble Queen Victoria’s mark, on the far right. Of course, this was just a guess!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the typical ox horn used for these spoons, they can range from light beige to almost black, sometimes various tones on one piece. It's probably Scottish Provincial, which often lacked proper hallmarks, and I'm having a hard time seeing those tiny marks as hallmarks (might measure them, along with the other mark) - they seem awfully small on what looks like a fairly small silver mount. Definitely don't know much about Scottish Provincial silver, but does seem odd to me for a duty mark to be present without hallmarks, but the round mark seems a bit unusual to me for a maker's mark...

~Cheryl

judy, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ox! That makes sense. Highland coos, or muckle coos.

judy likes this.
  15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I don't believe this spoon is made from any bovine horn.Water buffalo can look fibrous on the outside but the interior isn't.

judy and kyratango like this.
  16. David Askett

I had no idea that the material this spoon is made from would be such a mystery. I’d assumed it was run-of-the-mill cow horn but, earlier today, I got to examine a similar spoon at a local antique shop that is definitely cow horn, and it looks completely different than the one I have. Much lighter colour, almost transparent, and no visible grain.

So, back to baleen, or rhino horn? Or, just poorly polished ox horn?

5719B399-279D-4FDF-B67E-DF6E9F930E4B.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This was just first clicking on the image to get full size, and then holding the "Control" key down and scrolling the monitor image as large as it will go.......don't think there is much there to see though.....IMHO........

zHorn-Spoon-a.jpg

judy and komokwa like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

BUT......then I saw this..........looking to the right......which might not make any
    sense at all......I leave it up to you all!!!!!

ZPotential head.jpg

judy likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

I suppose it depends on the kind of cow, there are cows with dark horns.
    Not Highland cattle:
    [​IMG]

This is dark oxhorn:
    [​IMG]

judy likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sorry, just not seeing a mystery material here - no reason to believe it's anything other than the typical ox horn, there are still Scottish firms working with it, a simple internet search will show the wide variety of colors. https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i.....0...1ac.1.64.img..3.9.598.0...0.30x5HQJofik

Having restored more than one piece of horn, can assure you that it is, like all keratin, fibrous in nature, and with age and/or mistreatment, can split or crack, revealing a stringy structure (not that I see damage like that on your spoon). This is an old, but fairly clear pic of a silver handled salad set that had multiple problems, including the fork separated into two layers, which I carefully epoxied back together, and though it was sanded and oiled, the graining is visible:

hornsaladset2.jpg
    Here is a dark horn spoon of the same type, without a nice engraved tip like yours, hallmarked for Birmingham, 1901: https://www.etsy.com/listing/573766863/pretty-horn-spoon-with-silver?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=horn spoon&ref=sr_gallery_12
    ~Cheryl

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted