Featured House of Worth gloves

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by say_it_slowly, Jan 18, 2020.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Once upon a time these were ID'd on the Ebay boards as House of Worth gloves which seems correct. They've been stuck in a drawer and now I'm once again trying to decide if I'm going to sell them.

So my first question is if there is anyone who doesn't think they are House of Worth? The next question is, where would you think the best place to sell if I go that way? I think it was suggested to offer on Ebay and see what happens. I've not been selling there for awhile and I'm back and forth about what I think.

So here goes. They are incredibly thin leather and measure almost 24" from tip to cuff. They are for a smaller hand, they say 6¾.

house of worth.jpg house of worth 2.jpg house of worth 3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. say_it_slowly

Augusta Auctions maybe? Anyone dealt with them?

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is it the logo above that you believe says "House of Worth" or "Worth"?

Debora

Christmasjoy and say_it_slowly like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

James Conrad likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the photographs, they appear to be suede, not leather.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Yes a sueded leather rather than smooth. Kidskin I believe. Later label?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

Just curious about what you meant by later label. The example from the Met is 1892. I've been thinking maybe first quarter of the 20th C or so but don't know if that's something I'm remembering or imagining.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, according to the Vintage Fashion Guild, that logo dated to the 1950s. But I don't know if that's correct. What are the buttons made of?

Debora

11. say_it_slowly

12. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

On the first link Debora posted it looks like the earlier 1900's logo. Question is when did they change it?

13. say_it_slowly

Buttons appear to be four hole shiny brass.

upload_2020-1-18_22-52-5.png

upload_2020-1-18_22-55-53.png

14. say_it_slowly

Not sure when they changed it but someone probably knows. Most of what I've found are dresses and dress parts rather than accessories so not much help but I've not looked as extensively this time as I did the last. I just pulled them out of the drawer and said to myself....maybe I should just sell these this time but thought maybe an actual auction house that does fashion might be worth contacting.

(My glove collection has all of two pairs and the other pair isn't worth much, it's just a funky design.)

15. say_it_slowly

16. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I saw those but thought you had already looked at them with all of the other stuff from the Met.

say_it_slowly likes this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I remember back in the late 1950s buying an old trunk at a farm sale for 12 dollars. It was locked and unopened as things used to be. I could hear a few hangers banging around. Took it home and was busy at school did not have time to open it. After several months I tried several keys I had and the trunk opened. In the trunk was many hangers and a wonderful Worth gown. I did not know any thing about the House of Worth then. A woman at school asked to see the gown and came to visit. She almost busted a gut when I showed her the gown. She said it was very valuable and offered to sell it for me. I agreed and two weeks later she gave me 200 dollars. I found out years later it was really valuable much more than 200 dollars. I was extremely grateful to the woman who sold the dress. I remember that it was violet and gray velvet with black trim.
    greg

bluumz, judy, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  18. say_it_slowly

LOL I overlook things that are right in front of my nose all the time!

Greg what a great find and how nice you had someone sell it for you even if it could have been more profitable.

I'm in strange territory when it comes to fashion and that's why I was thinking maybe there are good options to sell such as auction houses that specialize in such things. I was wondering about Augusta Auctions and perhaps I should just contact them so see what they say.

judy likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you can sell those as House of Worth gloves with confidence. Do keep in mind, they weren't manufactured by Worth; they would have be manufactured by a small house who specialized in gloves and likely supplied to other designers. They appear to be opera length. (You can measure to confirm.) Meant to be worn in daytime. Suede with ruched bands of the same material and mousquetaire wrist openings closed by brass buttons. Too small to be worn but a museum or collector will have interest. Don't think they're worth (no pun intended!) a fortune but a very nice thing to find the proper home for.

Debora

20. say_it_slowly

Thanks Debora! (Surprisingly I have very petite daughters that could likely wear them but haven't.)

I did send photos to Augusta so I'll see what they have to say. I don't expect them to be worth a fortune but I'm always a bit nervous trying to present something for sale that is foreign to my being when collectors will want to know details I've never even heard of.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted