How do I tell if 1930s Coca Cola & Santa Claus poster is real or a copy?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Dec 1, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this today at a thrift store. I saw the mold damage at bottom right but it doesn't appear to have touched the poster just the matt.
    Can anyone tell me if it is a original without taking it out of the frame? (I know it will have to come out eventually to change matting but I'm not great at it!)
    The poster alone measures 24" x 17"
    I googled Coca Cola Santa Claus 'The pause that refreshes' poster - but all I found were people selling this ad from a national Geographic magazine!
    If it's legit I guess I'll take it out and put it in another frame to protect it
    Thank you for any info!

art poster coca cola & santa 1aa.JPG ART POSTER COCA COLA & SANTA CLAUS 1930s POSTER 3AA.JPG ART POSTER COCA COLA & SANTA CLAUS 1930s POSTER 4AA.JPG ART POSTER COCA COLA & SANTA CLAUS 1930s POSTER 5AA.JPG

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

You really should get rid of that mat ASAP and perhaps you'll find identifying/publishing date stuff under the mat.

reader and Darkwing Manor like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess a reprint from the '70s or '80s. I think the image originated in the '40s.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I would suspect a reprint contemporary to the frame.

Debora

5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

If it's a reprint it shouldn't be too valuable - I'll try to take it out of frame & let you know.
    Thanks

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted