How do I tell if something is genuine?

Discussion in 'Art' started by gouldcx, Aug 1, 2022.

1. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

They are probably not watercolors, but color reproductions. If they are old, they may be chromolithographs. If later, there may be a tell tale dot matrix pattern visible at extreme magnification, as you see in this image:
    Dscn9647a.jpg

If they are modern, which I sort of doubt, then it can be hard to tell.

There are many different ways to reproduce a picture. Telling which applies is not necessarily easy.

komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  3. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

FYI in the late 19th century chromolithography was popular. Unlike later offset printing, these often don't show any printing dots at all as Moreotherstuff noted. Some can be very convincing!

Not saying your pieces are definitely chromolithographs. Chromolithography - Wikipedia

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if the Tate has em....these are nice decoration.......worth little..

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

What size are they? Could they be postcards?

6. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I was switching back and forth between your images and the museum ones and there are some distinct differences. This would lead me to believe that yours are lithographs, as the image would have been redrawn using the original as an example. They look like something that would have been sold in a museum gift shop. They are nice looking pictures and frames.

7. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

That's very interesting. I wonder how old Gould's images are? If they were sold at a museum gift shop, is there any way to determine age of the prints or the name of the museum? The Tate? Whoever bought them probably enjoyed the originals.

8. gouldcx

gouldcx Active Member

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted