Featured How do you get motivated to sell?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueBytes, Aug 29, 2023.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Stupid question but I am lacking motivation these days to keep listing.

It's not that, like most, I don't want the money, maybe it's the fear of rejection?

:woot:

johnnycb09, Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe you're just plain tired, and will list again when you feel less listless.;)

KylieS, Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and 6 others like this.
  3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

For me, it isn't fear of rejection. It is more being tired of all the work that it involves only to find that the venue makes my life miserable.

During lock down, listing gave me a sense of purpose, what to do during the days when I couldn't go anywhere. It also gave me an audience that were stuck at home and wanted to buy online in droves.

Buyers have become more than difficult than ever before IMHO and esty has gone nuts.
    The thrill is gone as they say. I wish I could go back to the days where it was simple, easy and fun.

Oh well

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I just started selling because my house runneth over with things I bought. I can empathize with the dread of having unwanted things that hundreds of people see, and don't appreciate. It seems to be a rejection of your inner self. Because I travel a lot, I shut my small Facebook Marketplace shop down for weeks, and then come back with renewed energy. Maybe shut down for a while?

5. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

No, I actually haven't been spending time with the buy and sell business.

This posting though has helped me to get over lack of posting those various places.

Thanks for responding.

pearlsnblume and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

"How do you get motivated to sell?"

I usually just wait for the utility bills to show up in the mailbox :)

KSW, the blacksmith, KylieS and 8 others like this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

My motivation-years of work & passion going into the dumpster after we've croaked.....oh,and to get 'guilt-free' gelt to spend on more goodies.Wait,are we dumping or buying more stuff ? Can't seem to kick the habit.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I'll quit buying when they haul my carcass feet first out of the Hoodwill !

9. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Lol!

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Try setting small goals maybe. Start with listing 2-3 things every day without fail. You’re anonymous on eBay anyways so if your stuff doesn’t sell no one will know. It’s not a reflection on you necessarily anyways. Plenty of good stuff doesn’t sell for a myriad of reasons.

My problem is an inability to focus and list quickly. I’m motivated to list. I sit down and get shockingly little listed on a regular basis though. I should start selling widgets. I get so lost in the weeds of research and learning about antiques I barely get them listed before I buy twenty more things. If I just sold straight forward things that required no research I’d get a lot more done probably. Then again the margins are small and the work is boring on those things.

edit: I have such a INABILITY to focus that I wrote “ability”. I’ve now changed it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

When something sells, I am motivated to replace it. When things don't sell I get discouraged, but one must overcome the feeling because on eBay you have to constantly list or ebay forgets about you and it seems you drop out of view. So I try to list something every few days

12. bosko69

Seems like nowadays on Ebay folk's list Items for weeks/months w/ a high BIN +make offer.

AntiqueBytes and trip98 like this.
  13. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Listing every day does make your traffic increase. If you have something listed for a long time you can end it, review it, and do a Sell Similar (not a relist) and seems to look like a new listing to eBay and it also gets your traffic up.

I also get the urge to replace something that sells, but I try to balance that against the "thank God that finally sold feeling" and see which wins out :)

pearlsnblume and trip98 like this.
  14. Jim Goodykoontz

Jim Goodykoontz Active Member

you have to. back in the old days i was more than happy to let the auction process drive final values. i was getting more money for my stuff than i ever could have imagined, on average. now, auctions are for suckers. they consistently result in prices less than half the items value. and i can't afford to give stuff away anymore. good pieces are getting harder and harder to find.

15. bosko69

A fair amount of Ebay 'Sold' prices make me want to dump the Thrift,Flea & Estate Sale route & just hunt for the rock bottom BIN prices.I saw a vintage piece for $149 yesterday that was going for 5-10 times that on other antique/gallery retail sites.
    I guess certain sellers are extremely motivated-really some decent stuff for $50-$150 BIN's.
    PS-Good pieces,for me anyway-are getting very tough to find.

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I think there is something to be said for a quick nickel vs a slow dime when selling online.
    We all want the most we can get, but sometimes, it is better to cull our stock. JMHO

komokwa likes this.
  17. bosko69

We do have a mountain of stuff,some we still like,but lots we over or bought for resale.Plus as we've aged we've gone a bit more 'minimalist'. Every nook n' cranny used to be stuffed-couldn't see the forest for the trees.The good stuff we kept shines more now-it's a tad more like a livable gallery but not uptight.

verybrad and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Now I know what to get a lot of members on this board for Christmas: "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning" :) It actually is both practical and entertaining- it even has recipes in the rear.

Potteryplease and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. bosko69

I like the Xmas book idea.One thing about growing older & getting rid of stuff is the price of two-thousand square foot coffins these days-it's murder !

Joe in PA likes this.
  20. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

Motivated you say? What is that? A word no longer in my vocabulary.:(

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted