How does this oil painting come to have artist dates on it?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Gatoblanconz, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Gatoblanconz

Gatoblanconz Well-Known Member

Hi I bought this antique oil painting by H. Oehring 1835-1917.

A couple of things I'm interested to understand.
    The first one is how come it has the artist date of birth and date of death on it does that mean that it was reframed? Or was the plaque added later to the original frame? it looks to me like the frame is quite old the frame looks like it's older than 1917 but I'm not an expert on any of this.

Secondly when was the glass added?
    The paper that was wrapping around the edges of the glass is quite old I have actually removed the glass pane because it looks much better without the glass you can see that it's an actual oil painting and you can see the brush strokes better, plus the glass had dust behind it.
    I don't have any photos of it before I removed the glass.

IMG_20231012_175608_compress52.jpg IMG_20231012_175612_compress76.jpg IMG_20231012_175619_compress79.jpg IMG_20231012_175631_compress79.jpg IMG_20231012_175638_compress31.jpg IMG_20231012_175154_compress7.jpg IMG_20231012_175158_compress2.jpg IMG_20231012_175202_compress84.jpg IMG_20231012_175149_compress97.jpg IMG_20231012_180459_compress33.jpg

mirana likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I don't see any brushstrokes? Are you sure this isn't a print on cardboard? Typically oil paintings were not housed under glass. I have seen it but is certainly isn't the norm. Do you have a loop to see if there is any pixilation?
    As far as the name plate on the frame, anyone can put one of those on. Sometimes it helped the sale of 'copies'.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Use a loupe to check for dots

4. Gatoblanconz

@laura9797
    @Mark London

I agree it's quite a flat looking painting but there's definitely brush strokes on it. For example the black hole in the Center of the chair back has a raised edge to it same with the necktie.
    You can feel the ups and downs of the layers but overall it is quite flat.

Here's some photos obviously there's a lot of reflection but you can also see some strokes.
    If it is a print then I think it's had some paint applied over the top of it.

IMG_20231012_215418_compress80.jpg IMG_20231012_215629_compress0.jpg IMG_20231012_215654_compress51.jpg IMG_20231012_215718_compress78.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-12-22-33-52-007_com.miui.gallery_compress59.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Print or painting is a reasonable question, especially for something under glass, but I think those shots say painting. Some techniques specifically suppress the appearance of brush strokes.

Ditching the glass is probably a good idea.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Gatoblanconz

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Gatoblanconz

9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

10. sabre123

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And that one says 1916.;)
    There is very little information on the artist, even in German online sources, so maybe that led to confusion.

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  12. Gatoblanconz

That's my one. Although I bought mine recently for US $280.

mirana likes this.
  13. sabre123

Do you know what it sold for in 2017?

Gatoblanconz likes this.
  14. Gatoblanconz

$130usd plus auction cost

sabre123 likes this.
  15. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

16. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Looks like a painting to me as well. It's that salon style that wanted more polished looks with a solid varnish layer.

I'd love to see the back of the canvas...if it was relined, or restretched, how old it looks, etc. But what am I looking at here....is the painting in a wood boarder separate from the frames, with canvas or paper curled around the edge? Is the board that says Brugger on the back of that, or was it the board on the back of the frame?

Those plaques were very popular in 19th c and beginning 20th. Made people feel like they had fancy art on par with museums I guess. It could definitely have been added later. Would need shots of the frame back without the paper and any close up photos of damage areas to tell more about frame age.

I'm not an expert on glass but if it's wavy, then older? Certain glass manufacture processes make it look different so there could be some clues there. You're right to remove it. Paintings need to "breathe." Glass traps moisture (although you may have less trouble with that where you are) and can stick to surfaces. If there's a board on back, it should be removed. It's full of acid anyway.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Gatoblanconz

What does this mean?

18. Gatoblanconz

Thanks
    The Brugger is the board that it is painted on in another online listing or auction result of the same artist I think one of the ones in one of these links it refers to the Brugger board as well which is the manufacturer so that's who the artist used.
    From what I can see the painting was done on a board and then when it arrived to me it had glass on top with the paper wrapped around the edges of the glass to hold the glass to the painting if you look at the photo with painting out of the frame you can see the paper wrapped around the edges. I left the paper there but just took the glass out of it.. you don't see the paper when it's back in the frame because the frame covers the edges.

If you let me know what you want to see closeups of I'm happy to take some more photos and take it out of the frame there's only three nails need to be bent back to slide the painting out of the frame.

19. Gatoblanconz

https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/furni...55-1907/id-f_22939532/?modal=intlWelcomeModal

This listing here talks about the brugger board

Interesting that this is for sale for 2,800 Australian dollars it seems like everything that goes on first dib seems to be like five times or 10 times the price that it is in other places

20. Gatoblanconz

There seems to be plenty of pieces online by the artist. All of the same sort of style.

Draft saved Draft deleted