Featured how much for this "ugly" teapot?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Phaik Hooi, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

this is a truly "ugly" teapot. probably my grandmother's wedding gift, 1928? although mum could have picked it up herself, then 1970s-90s. never got to ask mum cos never knew it existed. any ideas when it could have been made? no mark, so i guess maker identity is impossible.

8" tall from base to top of handle. haha, 8 is an auspicious number. 9 peaches (8 around the body with one being the spout and the last one on the lid) as the standard during the qing dynasty. some parts of the gold has worn out as well as little bits of glaze.

am thinking of letting it go but have not idea what the price tag should be. i saw a couple less ornate ones (but the pages are missing).

cheers and tq
    phaik hooi

longevity teapot side.jpg longevity teapot top gold wornout handle.jpg longevity teapot spout.jpg longevity teapot back.jpg longevity teapot bottom.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, if ever a piece shouted Peranakan! The peach around the spout reminds me of something......:angelic::playful:
    This was made in Canton, for the Peranakan/Straits Chinese market. I don't know anything about the current value, but with the rising interest in Peranakan culture, it could be interesting.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That spout is simply unfortunate.

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

:eek:

5. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

Literally thought of that immediately when I saw the photos!!! ;)
    Yes moreotherstuff... very unfortunate! :(
    I don't know a lot about stuff like this but I think that might affect the price. :D

6. Phaik Hooi

nicely played everyone ...... well spotted. did i not say "ugly" :hilarious::hilarious:

7. Any Jewelry

I am feeling sorry for it now.:(

8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

There are folks who collect strange, over decorated teapots ... and pay money for them! This fits the bill.
    Patd

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that thing is downright erotic.....without even meaning to be so ! :woot::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Whatever is everyone talking about?:angelic:

judy, kyratango, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The male aspect to the pouring spout.
    greg

Ghopper1924, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHA!!!!! Wandering minds!!!! Nobody EVER did get to offering an estimated value!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::hilarious::hilarious::joyful::joyful:

13. komokwa

A penny.................................4 yer thoughts !!! :playful:

14. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

No wandering required there.

Ghopper1924, judy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  15. Phaik Hooi

hahahahaha indeed!! :woot:;)

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Strange as we all, from many different countries, had the same first naughty thought...:bucktooth::woot::playful::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

17. Any Jewelry

I think no one here knows the value.:(
    I did give a general comment on value, but that was after I mentioned it reminded me of something, and minds were already on the 'anatomy' of the teapot.:pompous:

Phaik, don't dismiss those Peranakan porcelain pieces. They may be old hat in Penang, but there could be international interest for them. And there is a market for quirky teapots. And for erotica, if this qualifies.;)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  18. Any Jewelry

As a friend of mine always used to say, a dirty mind is a joy forever....

19. komokwa

The more I look at this " ugly " teapot, the more I like it.
    The gold is rich, and the colors vibrant & alive.
    The shapes are smooth and soft and they undulate in a chorus of peaks and valleys. Nature , given play.
    Someone worked hard on this mud to bring it to life....& it 'is' so alive !
    While I'm not certain what fruit is meant to be shown here....the shapes & colors do seem to be food for thought....eliciting a furtive minds musings, in the direction of our beautiful bodies nether regions.

All that from a teapot....then how can it be ugly !! :happy:

As for value....given the right description, in a playful tone....I'd venture that the lucre would roll in...!;)

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 4 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

The fruit is a Chinese peach, symbol of longevity.
    Most Chinese symbols are for longevity or wealth, preferably both.;)
    There are a lot of coin symbols on the body of the pot, along with the gold lustre wealth is covered as well. A very auspicious teapot I'd say.:D

judy, kyratango, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted