How old is antique painting of little girl + AT&T World HQ limited lithograph

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 20, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

The thrift store I go to every day finally got new art in - and I bought 8 pieces! Included was what appears to be a very old painting of a young girl w/the biggest wooden spacers in the frame on the back!
    I've never seen these before, can anyone tell me about them - and any thoughts on painting's age?
    Also, it isn't signed, but burned into the frame on the back is: CHAPMAN MADE IN SPAIN - is this the frame maker/company? The artist?
    Another surprise (when I googled it) was a AT&T world headquarters limited edition lithograph that looks like the building's plans? And the surprise was when I googled it I found 2 that had sold at auction - 1 for $1,000 and 1 for $6,000!!
    I'm guessing it's because it's signed by two people who I am assuming were the architects? But Frank Lloyd Wright isn't one of the names; why is this so valuable - or do I have a different one I'm not realizing? If it is the right one I'm guessing whoever donated it didn't know what it was either!
    Another one that I haven't photographed yet is a Ching (?)Dynesty painted tile with the original receipt from Maio on the back with a price of $2,000 - I told my friend the manager of the store that had to be in Yen; and he charged me $40 for it! I want to post that tomorrow & hopefully someone can help me with it - and the description of it on the receipt.
    Thank you for any information!
    PS - On painting below I'm hoping the girl had big ears & it wasn't the artist's attempt at a ear since the rest of her was done better (maybe that's why it wasn't signed?)

ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 1AAA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 4AAA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 8AA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 8AAA.JPG ART PAINTING ANTIQUE PAINTING GIRL 8AAAA.JPG

ART PRINT AT&T WORLD HEADQUARTERS LIMITED EDITION LITHO 1AA.JPG ART PRINT AT&T WORLD HEADQUARTERS LIMITED EDITION LITHO 2AA.JPG ART PRINT AT&T WORLD HEADQUARTERS LIMITED EDITION LITHO 5A_AA.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess the naive painting to be fairly new and the craquelure forced.

3. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Those aren't building plans. The views look like downsized copies or recreations of some exterior elevations. Hard to tell from your pictures though. Unfortunately IMO as far as architecture is concerned we're now living in a post post-modern world. Real ATT HQ plans might pique some interest.

FYI it's now the Sony building. Big deal in 1984 but interest in buildings from that era is still relatively soft. 550 Madison Avenue - Wikipedia

P.S. Signed Johnson novel listed for $45. SIGNED Philip Johnson / John Burgee Architecture 1979-1985 Glass House Architect | eBay

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Philip Johnson could be a "good name" if I recall correctly.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

The first one is a copy of a famous American folk art painting, unknown artist, once owned by Abby Aldrich Rockefeller and donated to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. It is simply called "Girl in Garden"
    5f0690547a3daac51da7dac8326b13d0.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-20-19-44-48.png

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

It is apparent from the original that little girl really DID have at least one Big ear -- or that the copyist was some kind of sycophant!

Poor child!

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted