Featured How old is this embroidery on linen?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by benbenny007, Dec 7, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Hi all

How old could this piece be? It looks like it got some age to it.

I have put it myself in its current frame.

Looks like they streched the linen on a gilden frame and used hammered nails.

Somebody maybe a idea how old this linen or cotton could be or maybe an idea when such decoration was used like the red glass stones or beads.

It shows King Alfred who lived in the 9th century. Surly this is not that old ☺

20171207_100500.jpg 20171207_100626.jpg 20171207_100647.jpg 20171207_100528.jpg 20171207_100552.jpg 20171207_100602.jpg 20171207_100537.jpg 20171207_100544.jpg 20171207_100634.jpg

judy, kyratango, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think 19th century, but others are more knowledgeable on the subject.

pearlsnblume, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was intrigued by 'King Alfred Maketh Him a Clock'. Evidently part of his legend:

The burnishing of King Alfred’s reputation in legend was posthumous, not flowering until the twelfth century.[4] Alfred’s hagiographic biographer in life, Asser, had missed out greatness from his portrait: young Alfred wants nothing better than to win a book of Anglo-Saxon poetry from his mother, and learns to translate Latin into Old English when divine inspiration arrives at the age of thirty-nine. He also invents the candle-clock.

4. benbenny007

Yes indeed a very intriguing person. I've also read this and how he invented the candle clock. You would not understand the image if you don't know he history about it.

5. benbenny007

19th century was also my guess but not really into embroidery but I just liked the color and aging on it. Now I have framed it is do like it even more.

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Looks plenty old... but what ever you do... get it out of contact with the wood of that frame as soon as possible!

Leslie

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's rather crudely done. And if you notice, the pattern isn't even followed closely. Not new, of course, but when were commercial embroidery patterns first available? And those metal bits and faux stones?

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think very late 1800s if I had to guess. That's when the story of King Alfred and the clock appears to have been popular and taught in schools.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I like it, and think it's very nicely done.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

@Bronwen
    Wonderful word. I don't remember seeing it before.. Thank you.

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Early kit for embroiderer, late 19thc would be my guess, sort of an old version of paint by numbers ..outlines are drawn on the canvas and embroiderer fills in the blanks. Subject suggests later rather than earlier.

A version of Berlin Wool work or Canvas work perhaps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_wool_work

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    KikoBlueEyes and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I like it too, nicely done !!! ... Joy. :)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The skill of a needleworker is measured by the back.

Debora

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Could have been a young girl's project. I'm guessing 1890s to 1910 based on the flowers and things on his crown.

Draft saved Draft deleted