How old is this large tapestry?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by bellebelle, Oct 29, 2019.

1. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Hi! I'm new to this board and was hoping I could get some insight into an old tapestry I recently found. It measures about 5' x 6' I think? It's very unusual - I can roll it up (it's not stiff), but it's definitely hefty with a lot of uneven areas. The pics of the front that are more vibrant were taken in artificial light. Also, there is a zipper casing at the top and bottom, hand-stitched to the back - maybe for a dowel to slip through? It seems like a later addition, but I can't be sure.

Does anyone have an idea of how old it might be?

Thank you!
    BB

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, @bellebelle!! I can't, but others should be along who should be able to help you more! Much of the carpet or hanging looks so faded, it's hard to discern what the subject matter is, sadly. At least for me, anyway!!

bellebelle and i need help like this.
  3. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Thank you so much! It's definitely tough to make it out, but it looks like a woman in early to mid 1700's dress being courted by two suitors in front of a fountain in a woodland setting. There appears to be another woman behind the man on the right and a musician playing an instrument in the bottom left corner.

i need help likes this.
  4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looking at texture only, it is so perfectly regular I’m thinking it was made by a machine. Anyone know bout dat?

bellebelle and i need help like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  6. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Hi! Thank you for the pic. The rings were added much later (in the 80's it seems) when the whole thing was attached to a 2x4 curtain mount with a metal pulley. It had an attached piece of masking tape on it that the tapestry was to be used as a Roman curtain.

I'd be curious to see what the back of the one you linked to looks like - so many of the ones that look like that are flat on the backside it seems, with no loose fibers.

7. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Typically, the older something is the more finely made it is. Here's a genuine 18th century tapestry. Subject matter quite different but it achieves a dimensionality of imagery and nuance of color that a modern tapestry can't equal.

Debora

2005_NYR_01519_0361_000().jpg

9. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Yes, the older ones look almost like paintings - pretty incredible! That's what tripped me up about the one I have. It's rather crude, but it also doesn't feel mass produced. Do you know if the ones being made in 20th century were still being hand-loomed at all? (And thank you so much for the info!!!)

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Ah! Interesting. Those long fibers on the back of mine indicate a machine, then, I suppose.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Tapestries are still hand-loomed. But, as it takes 6-12 months to produce a square meter by hand, catering to decorative tastes in the 1920s and 1930s with hand loomed tapestries would not have been cost effective.

The Royal Tapestry Factory in Madrid, Spain has been in operation since the 18th century. These are modern Picasso tapestries that were owned by the Rockefeller family and which were produced there in the 20th century.

http://realfabricadetapices.com/en/

20141108172721-picasso_tapestry.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  13. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Whoa, I'm watching the video on the Royal Tapestry Factory - the process is bonkers! Thank you for the link, Debora.

kyratango likes this.
  15. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Morning! I requested additional pics from the eBay tapestries posted - both the machine-woven one Debora posted and the 1920's one I tracked down. The first one had a flat back, Jacquard-woven. The 1920's one had a back very similar to mine, and the antiques dealer selling it said it was hand-loomed. A friend of mine reached out (I didn't realize she knew about tapestries!!!) and mentioned that the long fibers I was wondering about are called floats. She also felt that mine was hand-loomed or at least that the loom was on the less mechanical end. ? Either way, I definitely smitten by the history of tapestries now!

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I've always thought the mid-century tapestries by Portuguese artist Jose Almada Negreiros in the lounge of Lisbon's Ritz Hotel (now the Four Seasons) stunning.

LIS_596_original.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. bellebelle

bellebelle New Member

Wow!!! Absolutely beautiful!

Draft saved Draft deleted