Featured How old is this tapestry purse?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lizzie, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

I was wondering about the age of this tapestry purse. It is 5 1/2" high and 7" wide. The clasp folds over to snap and has a few blue stones along with either marcasites or steel cut beads. When I purchased it, they said the clasp is sterling but I haven't tried to clean it nor have I found a mark. There are no tags to indicate its origin. I have lots more pictures if required. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Tapestry purse resize.jpg TP resize 2.jpg

tp resize 3.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as old as one would think. The female characters' make-up, hair and silhouette are 1950s-ish. Chain looks like a replacement.

Debora

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Lizzie

Thanks @Debora, I thought the chain was possibly a replacement. The color didn't look right. 1950's was about what I was thinking as well but wanted to get some expert opinions. Also, the lining didn't look to have "antique" age. I appreciate your input.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Lizzie

Should I clean the clasp or leave it to the buyer and sell as is?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

When the eye is puzzled, it's because something doesn't look quite right. I see an older frame, a mid-century tapestry and a newer chain. The chain isn't the color, design or quality that one would expect.

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Best rule is... Always leave as is. Buyers have different desired levels of restoration and different techniques and resources.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Lizzie

@Debora, thank you again.
    That is great advice and I will remember that going forward.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The fabric would be more accurately described as needlepoint/petit point rather than tapestry. You can find other examples with those terms.

9. Lizzie

@2manybooks, Thank you. I appreciate the correction.

komokwa, judy and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted