Featured How realistic are these prices?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Mar 5, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I just bought five near identical plates (different names). Are these prices realistic?

508584F1-D419-4B3E-89C0-B50AF480A4A0.png

judy, Ce BCA and KSW like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Probably not, although the American market is much stronger than the UK. Only results I could find for UK sales were ~£50 each

judy, moreotherstuff and KSW like this.
  3. John Brassey

Thought as much. Didn’t want to raise my hopes too high. Never mind if I get £50 each I will be happy enough.

judy and KSW like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

If you have an UK ebay account (and aren't on managed payments yet) you can list directly on the .com US site and perhaps get a better price.

judy and John Brassey like this.
  5. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

John are they new looking like the one you posted or older? Some of the older, 19th cent. ones went for hundreds of dollars. Both Pook and Pook and Freeman's auctions both near Philadelphia seemed to have had a large number of these some ten years ago.

judy likes this.
  6. John Brassey

They are all impressed Rogers and c1840

judy likes this.
  7. John Brassey

They just arrived . Took me an hour to get the wire hangers off them. Two are cracked (not from removing wire) but very pleased with them. Lovely little plates. C1830-40 . 11cm 4.5” Going to sell separately. A42422D9-C62B-4CD5-8C2B-DBCAFADEABFC.jpeg 3204441C-9D77-4B32-94DD-2C68BD2223FC.jpeg

Ce BCA and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The names are good: they'd make christening or 18th gifts or whatever.

Ce BCA, judy, Bakersgma and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Nice, good to see they are well marked, that will certainly help. I think at the prices they go for they are very undervalued, but then that's the same for a lot of Staffordshire. Some Staffs prices are lower than 30 years ago.

Don't you just hate those wire hangers too...

John Brassey likes this.
  10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Out of interest how do you get the wire hangers off. I've been favouring a bit of leather under the wire and a dremmel cutting disc recently. It doesn't strain the plate by bending the wire but still gives me the jitters.

11. John Brassey

I used a hacksaw on the first but it took forever and I was constantly worried about scratching the glaze.On the other four I pushed a clip from behind so that it moved away from the rim and then carefully bent the clip straight. By doing this to two clips the tension goes and the hanger just slips off. I managed without any damage and, miraculously, the wire left no chips. These were ancient thick wire hangers. More modern ones have more flexibility.

Ce BCA likes this.
  12. sunday silence

John several of those type were selling $400/plate at the US auctions mentioned above. Im on the road at the moment, but would be happy to check the worthpt listings later.

13. John Brassey

Thanks. I’ve put them for sale with my usual 99p start and will see how they go. Rogers stopped using that mark in 1836 so they are nice and early. Some damage to two.

14. sunday silence

can you link to auctions? how'd the last one do. SOunds like you're doing well

15. John Brassey

It's all a bit snakes and ladders for me. Some great sales some not so good at all but generally heading in the right direction. Can't stop myself buying very early English porcelain which I love but it doesn't sell well and is a waste of effort. The Canton/Ironstone Ewer ends today and is still below cost but I am hoping for a late surge.
    Link to one of plates here. The others in "seller's other items"
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303910634229?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Draft saved Draft deleted