Featured How to Estimate Weight of a Mounted Gemstone

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Curioser, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I am trying to estimate the weights of three princess cut diamonds in an engagement ring. I used to have a metal disk with graduated round holes in it that allowed me to estimate the weight of a set round diamond based on the diameter of the girdle. I would love a tool or online chart that does the same thing. But to get the job done today, I was hoping to find an estimator formula for other cuts of diamonds online. EVERYTHING I see requires the depth measurement which I can't do as the stones are mounted. I found one product for sale, a card that allows you to estimate carat weight for rounds, marquises and rectangular baguettes but not squares!

Anyone know of an online estimator tool? If not, I will try to find a product that works with all the major facet styles and buy it.

Thanks in advance!

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

4. Curioser

Thanks @Hollyblue ! That will do the trick! And, I appreciate your reply @terry5732 but that link only works if one can measure the depth of the stone and when its mounted that is rarely the case, as is the situation with my ring.

kyratango likes this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

All mounted measurements are an estimation

6. Curioser

I know but a formula that requires a depth measurement when one cannot be made is not going to provide any answer.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

8. Curioser

Thank you! I have a digital calipers gauge which has the same functions as the one you showed. That's how I got my stone's mm measurements. Of course, the battery died in mid project but I had a backup!

Draft saved Draft deleted