Featured How to go about authenticating a signature

Discussion in 'Books' started by Cedricke Dennis, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Cedricke Dennis

Cedricke Dennis New Member

Update edit:

All, I’m new to the forum, and have a question.

I have a Time magazine that was signed in my dads presence by dr. Martin Luther King Jr, Who is on the cover of the magazine.

How can I determine, its value? Signature authenticity?

also, there is a word which means that a person has direct knowledge of the history and/or authenticity of an item as opposed to someone who may have bought it at a flea market or antique show with little or no knowledge. What is that word?

I look forward to your response. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The word you are looking for is: providence

lloyd249 and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. wiscbirddog

Without knowing the name of the magazine & the famous person who signed it, I don't know how anyone here could help you with an evaluation of worth.

lloyd249 and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you mean provenance!

Debora

5. wiscbirddog

OMG - thanks for the correction Debora. Let's just pretend I'm overtired tonight, ok? :oops:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The word could be ...First Hand Knowledge....

But...without a photo....or documentation of your Dad & that person being in the same place at the same time.......the best you can get to go with his story is a written authentication by a know firm.....recognized firm !!!!!

I have a hockey stick by a famous Montreal Canadien...put in my hand by the player.....of the folks in that room...only a couple are still alive.....no autograph or photo.... but an expert could tell that it's an authentic stick...of his...made for him.... not a give a way..

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

• a record of ownership of a work of art or an antique, used as a guide to authenticity or quality.
      plural noun: provenances
      "the manuscript has a distinguished provenance"
    I don't think that's what he meant......:happy::happy:

lloyd249, Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Cedricke Dennis

Everyone, thank you so much for the responses. I’m pretty much interested in the process of determining its value as opposed to the authentication of the signature.

In short, it is a Time magazine from February 1957 with Dr. Martin Luther King Junior on the cover. Dr. King signed the magazine for my dad, in his presence at a church in New Orleans where he was speaking.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. Cedricke Dennis

thanks for the response. It is an edition of Time magazine from February 1957. It was signed by Dr. Martin Luther King jr, who is on the cover of that edition. The magazine is in what I would describe as “grade 9“. Small tear on the cover which was fixed with clear tape. No tears in any of the pages within the magazine. Additionally, no we are on the corners. The magazine has been preserved.

Christmasjoy, lloyd249 and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Cedricke Dennis

I updated the thread. Thanks for the “suggestion”. Lol

kyratango and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it written "To . . ." your dad's name? Are there photos of your dad at the church with other members? Pictures of MLK at the church?

mmarco102 and PortableTreasures like this.
  12. Cedricke Dennis

Unfortunately, there are no photos, nor is it addressed specifically to my dad. It just says “best wishes M.L.king Jr”. (I think the signature was abbreviated because of space on the cover.)

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Cedricke. What a wonderful thing to have. I am sure the autograph has value, but provenance, sorry, no.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Cedricke Dennis

What I’ve come to realize is that this may be the only one of its kind in existence. I’ve seen some mags on eBay but none signed by him.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. Cedricke Dennis

Can you please explain why it doesn’t have “ provenance”?... I’m new to the rules of collecting.

thanks

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Provenance is written or photographic proof of your dad's story.
    Collectors need to see it to believe it.;)
    But that is just the provenance. Authentication of the signature is a different story, and much more important than provenance, in this case.

Provenance is more important when it comes to an antique (evidence of previous owners or auctioneers), or when something was once owned by a famous person.

17. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Authentication of the signature is a different story, and much more important than provenance, in this case.

Exactly. The value here is in the signature. It is also nice that the signature is on something that features Martin Luther King. I think less about the rarity of it being on a magazine per say, but better than if it was just on a piece of paper or similar. Seems like it would be lend itself to be framed (archivally), leaving the magazine intact. What a cool thing to have.

Although no photographic proof your dad was standing right there, if the signature turns out to be authentic (certainly sounds likely), I think the history of how he got the signature would be of interest to a buyer. I feel it is a bit of provenance honestly. On it's own the story of it is not enough to guarantee authenticity (I guess that is the sticking point here.)

If your dad is still around, see what other information you can get about the event. Where exactly it took place, etc., anything he can remember.

You can also Ebay search under "Martin Luther King Autograph" and look under Completed/Sold. You can order from highest to lowest to see some of the top sellers that were around $3,000. Not saying this has that value, please do full research, but being on a magazine like this, if authentic, it was not mass produced, which if authentic I would think would have good interest.

18. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i found one book signed by him selling for 12 thousand U S
    MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. SIGNED BOOK "STRIDE TOWARD FREEDOM" CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT.
    s-l400 (6).jpg

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

To be absolutely clear, that is an asking price. It remains unsold at that amount.

Draft saved Draft deleted