How to remove spray paint???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tanya, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

HELP! How do you remove spray paint WITHOUT RUINING PATINA.

I found this little handmade basket at the flea market in Maine. I paid $4. It was spray painted badly and I started to scrape off the rough parts just with my fingernail to smooth it so I could repaint it and I discovered it’s not the typical wire basket I have seen - it’s made of brass? copper? something else?

It has a really pretty patina I don’t want to ruin.

I really love this little basket and I will happily undertake a more time consuming method if it’s better for the patina.

If you know anything about the basket type / time period it is likely from I would love to hear that too!

Thank you for your help!!

Attached Files:

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

E53E52CD-E9A6-42F0-B8B4-A27B6817FCF5.jpeg Welcome Tanya,
    Checking the box for Full size all images will help those viewing. I can not answer your question, but someone should have some advice.

Tanya likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Soak it in a strong solution of a heavy cleaning solution like Pine Sol for several hours it should rinse clean without any disturbing the so called patina. Just be sure to rinse it very well.
    greg

Tanya, kyratango, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can we see the whole basket, please?

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive seen on a lot of rehab shows where they boil a pot of water and soak it for a few minutes. The paint comes right off.

7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I never tried the Pine-Sol method, but I just boiled a brass piece, as johnny mentioned, and most of the old paint came off. Used Acetone to take the left behinds off.

I don't know what kind of patina was there before the paint was applied.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, @Tanya ! And I'm sure we would live to see a photo of the whole basket, especially after you get the paint off.

Tanya, kyratango and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted