Hubley doorstop / bookends Campbell kids

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bomar97, May 18, 2019.

1. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

I have this Hubley I received in the late 70's from a relative who had it ( I don't recall how long I remember seeing it at the front door )..

The time to downsize has come and I have searched a lot about this item.. it appears to have been started as bookends ( at least I see many listings showing pairs ) .. but I only have known the one and it being used as a doorstop. It was used on an inside door and as you can see, not abused too much. When I got it, the curio was it's new home.

I haven't found any help for pricing this one. I see those "original" listed on ebay that have the CN or rectangle which I have seen are actual reproductions. But prices are all over the place.. asking prices.. I
    haven't seen any good selection of sold prices.

Does anyone have a good source I could look at for this particular piece to get an idea of pricing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have you check on ebay.....but looked under their SOLD prices?

judy, scoutshouse and bomar97 like this.
  3. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

I have been looking and finding nothing.. only the ones who are trying to sell which are all over the place. I realize you can ask what you want, but I like to be fair about it.

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Huh... I thought Campbell's Soup Kids, and this seller believed that's who they are. Sold $495 in 2014. Worthpoint

Searched hubley cast iron boy girl

[​IMG]

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And that's who they appear to be, plus YOURS look to be in VERY GOOD condition!!!!! I say Ask Away!!!! You can always come down, but can't really go up!!!!:happy::happy:

6. scoutshouse

But then this beat up one sold in 2018 for $99

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  7. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Um. Well... Back in the days when we were all on Ebay, there was a Seller who had a rather remarkable strategy for dealing with certain items. If it did not sell the first time around, he put the item back on -- at double (or more) the price.

He sold quite a bit that way.

judy likes this.
  8. scoutshouse

And, sorry, a pair in 2019 for $50 :(

Also, pretty beat.

[​IMG]

judy likes this.
  9. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

Ha Ha.. I've seen some say that! I actually had a part for sale that didn't sell, so I raised the price or changed from free shipping to charging shipping.. or both.. can't recall.. and it sold! I think it all depends on when the person who wants it actually sees it.

10. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

I know the selling prices range from under $100 for one to over $1000 for the pair - and I've seen some singles in the $500 range ... that is why I was trying to get a handle on the "average value" and not the wishing and hoping value. Plus I get a little paranoid if I sell anything over $100 on ebay.

judy likes this.
  11. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

Maybe the best bet is to do an auction.. start if where I'd feel good at for a price.. or start low and put a reserved price where I'd like.. and see what happens. May take a few trips to the auction block!

judy likes this.
  12. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

Holy Katoodles!! Ebay fees are mightly high for having a reserve! I used it once before but it was only $5 .. now it's $11.25 for the same reserve price!

judy likes this.
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

On all the others, the boys eyes are facing the girl and his hair is brown on the others and black on yours. On yours, his eyes are facing up. Also the paint on yours looks awfully new.

judy likes this.
  14. scoutshouse

Isn't that fascinating?!

Good "eyes" Bev :woot:

judy likes this.
  15. bomar97

bomar97 New Member

New paint.. but this is the way it's been from at least the 70's. I just wish I could remember how far back I used to see it by the door. Not sure about the eyes facing up instead of sideways.. will have to search into that.