Featured Hull Art Pottery: The Least Loved Of The Major Ohio Art Potteries?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe2007, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I remember 15 years ago when the more common production pieces of Hull Pottery (like the ones in my collection shown below) used to realize respectable sums when sold, especially the bow knot line which was fairly sought after.

When I was a child, my parents collected a few pieces of Hull when they were first getting started collecting and didn't have the courage to pay up for Roseville Pottery yet. I remember most of the more common production pieces selling in the $40-150 range with a few outliers selling higher or lower than that. I attended a few estate auctions (in 2005ish) were the there were 100's of pieces for sale where the deceased was obviously a major admirer of Hull. Collectors drove in from hundreds of miles away for those sales and prices were very high.

Today prices are very low with some of the more common pieces selling for $10-15 at estate auction and $15-25 in many antique malls. Even at these levels they just don't seem to sell very quickly. Is Hull Pottery the least loved of the major Ohio art potteries? I think this may be true since Roseville & Weller both seem to sell decently well outside of the more common later lines, still a down market for them but still desirable with devoted collectors. Antique Rookwood Pottery seems to have weathered the downturn in art pottery better than most seeing its prices down a little but not as far as other makers.

Hull Pottery, with an exception for the rare earlier lines seems to be practically unsellable these days. Ugly imported Chinese décor pottery being sold at Pier One Imports are likely realizing better prices then Hull Art Pottery.

I still like Hull and have purchased the majority of my small collection of 20-25 pieces at rather affordable sums but I will not be rushing out to purchase more unless at bargain basement levels.

hull double handle vase.jpg hull pottery calla lilly vase.jpg hull1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    judy, patd8643, Potteryplease and 4 others like this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I think all of your comments are spot-on Joe.

judy, NewEngland and Joe2007 like this.
  3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

They are still very pretty.

5. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe2007, it was good to take a look at Hull, which I know only from some pigs in my Mum's collection. It's curious how pottery goes in and out of fashion. I'm "spending" Covid on the odd bargains I really don't need, but which will be safe and appreciated here and may even turn a profit in my lifetime. If they're still safe when I kark it and the dogs' home benefits, that's fine too.

So some Hull would be coming home with me. :)

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have had only one Hull piece that I found at an estate sale years ago. I believe it was the same pattern as your first photo. It was a bowl. It had some nicks and chips or flaws, so it sold at a not so high price.

judy likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hull Pottery didn't seem to just decline, it seemed to plummet downwards in price. Personally, I blame it on the pastel colors and the relative sameness across all patterns, so you can hardly tell one pattern from another. I never bought much of it for resale because (no disrespect, everyone's different), I just don't like it much. It's odd how things come and go. But I don't see it coming back any time soon because it looks too "granny".

pearlsnblume, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree, Ola. The only Hull pieces I cared to buy are ones that fit in with my "Green Collection." And they are planter shapes, not "vases."

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't say I have ever liked it for the same reasons ola402 gives. Have sold it sporadically when I could buy right. Recently picked up a quite large vase in perfect condition for a few bucks. Can not sell it even at $12.00 in my retail space. Now at half that and it still has not sold. Going to 75% off this week. Won't be buying more at any price.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted