Hungarian? Blue and White Enamel Medal

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Barn Owl, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

I purchased this medal today. (At 7.5 euros, I probably paid a bit too much, but I like collecting these.) I think that the inscription on it is a name, and after doing a search, it appears to be a Hungarian name. But I don't know if the medal itself is Hungarian. There's a star beneath the name, so I thought it might be Soviet, but it looks old enough to be WWI, I think.

thumbnail (32).jpg thumbnail (9).jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, the name is Hungarian.
    A star in Hungary wouldn't be Soviet, but I get what you mean, Communist era. When I was in Hungary in the 80s, there were big red stars on a lot of buildings on the Pest side of beautiful Budapest.

Figtree3, Barn Owl and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely a Hungarian name - the only folks who use Imre are Hungarians and Turks, who spell it Emre. (had to go looking once, long story omitted) I think someone used this as a watch fob.

Figtree3 and Barn Owl like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It looks more like an order rather than a medal. A medal is awarded for something, a campaign or a specific act, wheras an Order is the badge of membership of some group like an order of knighthood, or membership of the Benighted Barn Owls or similar fraternal organisation. Obviously these can range from KCMG (Knight Commander of the order of St Micheal and St George) or KB (Knight of the Bath) to memberships of the most trivial and obscure of organisations.
    The unifying theme in design tends to be the used of enamel and of pierced designs. There are obvious exceptions Like the German Blue Max but as a general rule of thumb this may be useful.

Just to give a mention to the other thing often confused with medals and orders, a medallion is pretty well always commemorative of something and does not have a suspension ring as it was never an award or a membership.

Searchinng Hungarian Orders may be better than searching Hungarian medals

Draft saved Draft deleted