I’ll take mine with a twist...

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello, all. Yesterday I pulled out my Kramer’s antique improver and went to work improving an old carved barley twist canes table we have. I did it outside, and of course the strong smell of the Kramer’s caused some social distancing!

I always thought the table was oak, but when it was outside it took on a distinctive reddish look. I also worked an old oak table that I posted about quite a while ago. The small table is oak, so I put them side by side.

The barley twist table has been in our family for about 50 years, and was purchased as a vintage piece back then. The stain on the top caning is pretty much gone but the caning itself is in perfect condition. I think someone must have used it as a plant stand (which it probably is) because there is a black stain on top I couldn’t get rid of.

Does anyone know where this table was made, what it’s made of, and its approximate age? The carving looks like things I’ve seen from Belgium.

Thanks, everyone.

D2FACB9A-1E01-4CD0-BACE-1E8A430D4C71.jpeg E1BD71B7-C976-4A34-AC3B-060C31C77607.jpeg 18285006-134E-489A-B87C-8908AF63AD9B.jpeg 060833DA-2DDF-4FC6-8D13-F926285D1FC6.jpeg D51E4322-CC18-4946-BD6B-B69AE4146358.jpeg FE19118E-0FBA-4E63-9E61-46CC490D187A.jpeg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is oak. Can only tell you that it is not from the US.

judy likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here ya go right side up.....and side by side....

7B835424-8D45-47D9-9640-62DB6CEBB060.jpeg

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@verybrad
    Do you think this could be 1970s with that caned top? India? Did they do the barley twist leg?

judy likes this.
  6. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks for correcting the angle. I took the photos with my iPad.

My guess is that it was intended as a plant stand. I haven’t seen a two-tiered table where both tiers have caning.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    judy likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

India did come to mind but with a bit more age than that. Maybe pre-war for the English market? Just pure conjecture so thought better of saying so. Also, would it be oak if from India?

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not likely.:)
    This kind of furniture was very fashionable in the Netherlands late 19th early 20th century. Ours was locally made, and it is possible neighbouring Belgium would have made similar furniture.
    My favourite chair is in this style, also barley twist oak and cane, with a carved panel in the cane back. It was a wedding gift to my grandparents ca 1920.
    I would call this a side table.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    judy likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with aj on this. Dutch or thereabouts and 20s. Indian carving is quite different. I suspect the reason for the black marks is that the rattan was dyed and some colour has been lst. fwiw, the other little table looks post war.

10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

I have a number of antique and vintage furniture pieces, so I try to guess origin based on other exemplars I’ve seen.

I own, and have seen, a number of carved barley twist furniture pieces. I also have two cane chairs, one with barley twists. I haven’t seen another two-tier cane table where both tiers have caning. I also have not seen carving on a round table, with carving on the top and on the side, with barley twists and caning.

I have a couple of pieces I might call “primitive,” where it’s a local craftsman making a piece or two. This barley twist table, however, seems too well done to be a one-off piece (but of course it could be custom). Obviously my scope of knowledge is amateurish and limited in scope, so I appreciate all of you experts giving me your opinions.

Here is a close up of the carved top and side. This goes all the way around the top. There are four flowers on the top and side, located at each barley twist. From the seams, it appears that the top and bottom were made of eight pieces of wood.

EF066941-1141-42DC-BC3C-9A4F49854079.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Here’s a close up of one of the feet

C2084DC8-97A0-4584-90C1-42B89E619AE4.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted