Featured I Am Here, 12th in line. Nuff said… :)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mmarco102, Apr 13, 2024.

1. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's a hoard, looks like a complete mix from trash to treasure. Many pieces seem in very poor condition. Can you view before sale for this type of thing? I'm not sure I would buy on spec given the pictures. There are a couple of the wall plates that may be worth 10k+ if original and in good condition.

mmarco102, pearlsnblume and Boland like this.
  3. mmarco102

Estate sale, yes we can pick up and check. Owner was not a collector of fine porcelain but considered and artist. deliberately bought damaged pieces to make art out of. They told us about 70% has been restored or altered so l’m going to be very selective. There’s a professional group(10) of Chinese in front of us that do this for a living, so expect them to monopolize the larger quality items, but the damage will slow them down. We are just looking for a few small treasures hopefully.

kentworld likes this.
  4. mmarco102

Ps, which wall plate? :) throw me the photo number. *thumbs up* Doesn’t open till 9am .

5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Whoa...good luck!

mmarco102 likes this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Wow,what interesting items and lots of if. The artist owner might not have considered himself a collector but it sure does look like a lifetime worth of collecting. There definitely must be some treasure there. Good luck and happy hunting!

7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Good luck. May the force be with you.

mmarco102, Boland and Houseful like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Good luck and definitely report back!!

mmarco102 and Boland like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Extraordinary house-Best of luck & I hope Ce BCA texts you back.
    PS-You must've gotten up at 2AM- good work ethic !

mmarco102 and Boland like this.
  10. mmarco102

Well, all and all it was a bit disappointing . :mad: So like I said earlier, we were 12th and 13th in line. They only allowed 10 people in at a time. As someone came out they would let another in. Number 11 got in about 35-40min after opening and we didn’t get in till about 11:00. :mad::rage::punch::arghh: Needless to say as I was inside, I saw the first couple in checking out(2hrs later)and with a quick glance at the calculator it was in excess of 10K. They had at least 6 large boxes. God only know what the others snagged up in that time. Very disappointing management let that happen with over a hundred people out side.

Looking around 95% was broken or repaired and/or cheap. Prices ranged from $4,000 - $10. Didn’t spend much and not excited much with what we got but hey, had to get something for waking up at 4:50am. Three *ehh* pieces and the bottles in photo 170.

phefff!

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Yikes. Waiting like that would have killed me. Why couldn't they have let the first 15 people in?!

pearlsnblume and mmarco102 like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so the first 10 folks got to stay as long as they pleased......and scoop up everything they wanted.....un-opposed..?
    that can't be right !!! or fair..!!!!!:mad:

13. pearlsnblume

Komo, that is common here too. They let in 10 or sometimes 5 people and then we all have to wait till some come out to get in.
    There is one estate sale runner here who lets in everyone and it is a free for all.

14. mmarco102

I WISH :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Extremely unfair to all that arrived hours early, i.e me :mad:. I heard the police were called out to the house twice, once at midnight and again around 4am, between someone/s(?) that flew in from California and a group from Orlando. The estate management and current family member had to come out there both times. Likely the estate sales woman might have been at her wits end with the place and just wanted stuff sold asap. Don’t really know, but what a fiasco. When we left there was at least 100 still waiting to get in. Blah!!!

15. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Sorry Marco-IMHO Sounds like the game was 'rigged'-seems like the Chinese group is well known locally.
    PS-It's getting harder & harder to find an equal playing field.

charlie cheswick and mmarco102 like this.
  16. mmarco102

‘I don’t remember them doing this down here until the Covid scare. That’s when I think they started. That said people bought what they wanted and left 15-20 min after. This here was not your local shoppers. Everyone in front of me and a few behind were Asian and obviously knew what they wanted, by the looks of what was left.

17. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The blue and white charger with the 2 deer. And there looked like a large Kangxi transitional charger as well.

mmarco102 likes this.
  18. pearlsnblume

When I was younger, waiting in line was easier. Now that I am an old lady, :pI just can't stand waiting forever to get in.
    Even before covid they had these rules about how many could get in around here.

And many of the people I know from sales are in the house for hours if it is a good sale, so there were times I left because it was not worth it. But I was lucky at times to have a friend get me a better number.

mmarco102 likes this.
  19. mmarco102

Don’t know if true or not, But someone inside said a person in line sold their ticket for $150. That poor sucker

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. pearlsnblume

I knew a guy who was selling numbers many years ago... $50 and up. I never paid for a number, but knew people who did. I had my friends grab an extra number when they got there and saved it for me.

And yes, there have been more fights both physical and with just words about how did someone get an earlier number if they just got there. It can be ruthless at times.

mmarco102 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted