Featured I Am Hesitant to Put any Descriptor on This; Religious Icon...Perhaps?

Discussion in 'Art' started by wlwhittier, May 22, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: The item's image isn't any better than what you see here...it's fuzzy.

~4¾" X ~3½"; self-framed with paper on very thin, pre-float glass.

The woman and child are nude on a large Lotus leaf, surrounded by others including a single Lotus blossom. Her curly hair is waist-length, showing on both sides of her torso. She gazes up at him in an almost imploring or supplicating attitude while her left arm holds him closely to her shoulder, as her right hand lies palm-up against her left thigh. His left arm is raised, hand open, fingers spread. He looks down at her face without expression, his right arm entirely hidden behind her head, neck and back. There appears to be a large illuminated halo surrounding them, without any other detail on the horizon or elsewhere.

The twisted cord suspension yoke might be silk; it could be baby-fine human hair. There are three words in pencil on the back, apparently in a foreign language that resembles European, illegible to me.

I've had it over 50 years. I'm no closer to understanding its meaning than I was the day I purchased it.

Both of them appear Caucasian, but the Lotus pond puts a spin on that assumption. Is she his Mother, or Sister...or? Are they human, or Angels of some variety? Are they mythical creatures from a legendary past? Have they names? What culture...and when?

I certainly wish I knew...and can only hope that some of you will recognize these two and expose me to their truth.

fullsizeoutput_9259.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9258.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9257.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Figtree3, Firemandk, judy and 3 others like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

3. wlwhittier

I am humbled, Kronos. Thank you most sincerely!

Firemandk, judy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about it, but I liked it, it’s gentle and heartwarming.

judy, KSW and stracci like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As a European it always takes me a while to translate the word Caucasian as pertaining to someone from the Caucasus region, to someone from any part of Europe (or descendants elsewhere).:playful:

At first I was studying what made these people specifically Caucasian, and then the penny dropped.:hilarious:

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  6. wlwhittier

That's a valid point. I used the term aware that it carried a cultural load.

I am North American, a west coast Provincial. Try as I might, that shines through...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is just that we never use it that way, it is a North American term, which is why I always have to think for a few seconds.
    I know the American use of the term was based on an early human found in the Caucasus, supposedly a member of an ancestral people of all Europeans. But here in Western Europe it simply refers to anything or anyone from the Caucasus mountain region, which is on the other side of Europe from us. Beautiful Caucasian carpets, for instance.;)

Part of the Caucasus is Asia of course, since it is part of the geographical barrier between Europe and Asia.

Draft saved Draft deleted