Featured I am in love with these - but what are they

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

and maybe more importantly what would you call them?

here are what I assume is a pair of marmalade or mustard pots - cut glass/crystal - I have never seen anything like them as they are the shape of a goblet - but obviously pots as the rims are notched as well there are lids which have slots for spoons... I would like to figure just how rare these might be but what are the search terms? footed seems short sighted as they are stemmed - what would one call these to find similar items ? I LOVE THESE! but the asking price is nearly $300 - I want to find them cheaper :O)

s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Have you tried entering your photo into Replacements Ltd. searches?

Can you get any information from the person or place selling them?

charlie cheswick and Rclinftl like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not seen those here before....maybe they are already inexpensive ??

Rclinftl and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Rclinftl

they are in the UK - the seller calls them "rock crystal preserve pots possibly Stevens & Williams" - I didn't know you could upload pics to Replacements - I just tried but didn't get a hit - the seller doesnt have a photo of one single pot alone so the replacements search engine isn't very cooperative.... the seller wants his price +40 shipping + tax = almost $300 - I sent an offer of price + shipping + tax = $200 early this morning and didn't hear back so my guess is my offer was rejected... I just think $100 a piece is enough - I don't need them - they would just sit on my dining room table with my webb mapin figural bee honey pot amongst other things - but I do love them...

Aquitaine, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Rclinftl

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They are exquisite but that price scares me !

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Show the bee honey pot!

bluumz, Rclinftl and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A UK seller should not be adding tax.

Rock crystal is nonsense conflated with S&W, too. And his prices on his other items are deranged. I'm unconvinced those lids are related.

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

If you look at the base of each lid very closely, they don't appear to sit perfectly within the mouth of each glass. I don't think these glasses were initially made with lids. For over a hundred bucks apiece, I want my lids to fit identically!

Rclinftl likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Rclinftl, The lid on the one on the right doesn't look like it fits as well as the one on the left, but what do I know!!!:rolleyes: On the other hand, below the doubles is the single LEFT pot in case you want to try re-posting on Replacements to see what they might come up with!! Good luck!!

MUSTARD POTS-2_00x.jpg

SINGLE MUST POT.jpg

Rclinftl and bercrystal like this.
  11. Rclinftl

I think the lids are original and here is why - right where the traditional bowl of a goblet ends these have a 1/2" flange that goes upward and outward and then that flange is notched at the top rim - a drinking vessel wouldn't have those notches to contend with at the top rim - it would just be uncomfortable to sip from

right? has anyone seen drinkware that has a rough notched top rim? has anyone seen drinkware that has a flange above the goblet bowl?

I tried the single pic at replacements and didn't get a hit although it is similar to a couple of Thomas Webb patterns which makes sense ie UK seller

the seller didn't add tax - I added tax in my own calculations because I live in Florida and eBay automatically adds 7% to all purchases I make - the seller did email back over night and said he agreed that he thought that they warranted $100 each - and after his side of the deal that is what HE would receive at his asking price after fees - thus my offer was rejected

12. Rclinftl

as per request

my dining room table is a repurposed door from Morrocco - the two marmalade jars would replace bee0.jpg bee1.jpg bee.jpg bee2.jpg bee3.jpg the Steuben vase and sit next to the honey pot on the primitive platform....

13. Ownedbybear

Those lids looks the same as some I have on proper cut lead crystal marmalade or jam pots. I agree not drinking vessels. Possibly part of some kind of garniture, but not with lids.

He's an optimist, isn't he.

antidiem likes this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Exactly.

The worst part of it is that the lid on the one on the right looks "tippy" like it does not sit flat and properly in the mouth of the goblet.

My eyesight is very poor, but even I can see that the way the lids sit in the opening are not equal.

Ownedbybear likes this.
  15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b, Rclinftl and Potteryplease like this.
  16. Rclinftl

^ thank you - I have been a dealer and collector from a very young age - I have been at it for 50 years -it feels like I have been through a million objects - but what determines what I keep is never monetary - I keep items that bring me joy... I am sure this little Italian pottery rabbit doesn't have much monetary value but it makes me smile every single day (pic taken prior to acquisition of the honey pot) - and this painting is English but it reminds me everyday of my home town Baltimore Maryland... table.jpg
    painting.JPG

17. Ownedbybear

That painting is very Beryl Cook.

If you like your laughing rabbit, have a look at the Rosenthal ones designed by Max Fritz.

bercrystal and Rclinftl like this.
  18. Rclinftl

the painting is circa 40's by an English artist named Theodore Else - his father was a renown artist who carved huge lions in the city of Nottingham that are apparently world renown... I love the painting because it not only reminds me of Baltimore but also Divine whom was an acquaintance of mine - I meet him (and John Waters - Edith - Mink Stole ) on several occasions and was once even invited and attended a party that they threw - they hung in the same stomping grounds that I did during my young party days - a place called Fells Point in Baltimore - the painting is the epitome of how I see/saw Baltimore in the early 80's - it was known as Charm City and it was dripping in charisma - it was "weird" and "funky" before Seattle and Portland were in vogue - the painting is a typical look at everyday life growing up in Baltimore - everyone was a character

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  19. Rclinftl

oh - btw - I am aware of the Rosenthal laughing rabbit - but I think mine has more character - and the scale is much larger - mine is like 11" tall - nearly as tall as the bottles of wine....

komokwa likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Great dining room!

I also really like the glasses though I've no idea how you'd use them. They'd be rather tippy if you tried to scoop from them without holding them. I'm imagining some lovely little dessert something eaten with little spoons while standing. (I'm just making that up, what would you do with the lid while eating:D?)

I did get out some books of beautiful glass and had a pleasant time browsing through them. Sorry to say I've not come up with any answers.

Rclinftl, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted