I am Mars, without the smallest modicum of antique sense.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mars, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Mars

Mars Member

Greetings Antique Community,

As stated, my name is Mars, and I possess quite a bit of useless knowledge, none of which involves antiques. I have joined because I seek information on items left from my Father's estate, but quite honestly the entirety of Dad's estate what was left after my evildoer older half sister and Dad's much younger "live in female friend" banded together to remove everything of value they wanted and left me to clean up their garbage. Whew, it's a long, sordid story that most likely repeats family after family and generation after generation.

My core interests are chemistry, culinary arts, hydroponics and looking at tiny objects under a microscope. Most of the time I only find small bits of tangled fiber based fuzz. A scanning electron microscope, even used, would be my idea of a perfect gift, but the price is WAY.TO.HIGH. I do my best to follow a Buddhist philosophy while solidly entrenched inside the belt buckle of the "Bible Belt," so I retain my philosophy closely. I respect individual choice. Oh yeah, this might just be the best and coolest part but over 10 years ago, I married my best friend, my hero, my soulmate. TRUE! Together we attempt to properly rear our quite beautiful, intelligent 13 year old daughter along with a black cat and some beloved goats. I hope I can speak freely for my husband but we are partial toward the kid.

Somehow I feel I've overshared. Have I? Back to antiques, we acquired some furniture pieces that I would be grateful for you to help identify! I'll try to find a proper place here on the forum.

With Kindest Regards,

Mars

Aquitaine, AJefferson, Jivvy and 10 others like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Welcome ! I loved your post,you'll fit in quite well around here. We are quite a diverse group!

3. Mars

Mars Member

Awwww, so cool! Thank you so much. Can't wait to explore.

4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Mars !!! ... Joy. :)

5. Mars

Mars Member

Joy! Such a lovely name. Thanks.

6. Christmasjoy

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Mars! That's quite the story, but we will need pictures of the cat. ;):cat:

8. Christmasjoy

Yes Mars .. The Cat .. we love cats !!! ... Joy.

9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Cats. Someone mentioned cats. They typed this not me.

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings.........overshared...I think not....as a matter of fact you sound like someone cobbled together several stories of members already here.....
    you should fit in nicely !!:):):):hilarious:

12. Mars

Mars Member

OK, I'll put the cat cards on the table right now and I'm not ashamed to do it, well maybe a little bit, but there is a back story. I've lived all my life, minus 10 months, as an avowed "Cat Hater." I figured the only good use for a feline would be for dissection purposes. Last year, we took the kid on a family vacation to Dauphin Island, AL. The island is separated from the Alabama coast. When sun sets, cats roam. Not normal cats but huge bobcat sized cats even! Darwin can't account for these cats. We found the backstory was the island had a past rodent problem, so the locals introduced cats to the rescue; they didn't anticipate the requisite problem with cat overpopulation. Tiny kittens were everywhere, congregating around the wooden stalls where the locals clean fish. We live 700 miles away and by a seemingly magical feat, a tiny black kitten rode home with us. Imagine our not noticing such a thing but I suspect my husband was behind the entire "let's take a tiny kitten home" idea. Not sure about my suspicions! Our beloved black cat is named "Barnacle" which fits nicely with both her history and the fact that the kid's nickname is "Jaws." The kid talks a LOT. Barnacle is the coolest thing ever (I didn't say that, right?!?!). I'll attach a photo. This tiny kitten transformed our entire family and my feelings about cats in general. Of course, you must understand that Barnacle IS quite special She just ROCKS! I didn't say all that about a cat so let's keep this among ourselves. (HEARTS!)

Attached Files:

13. Christmasjoy

Barnacle is GORGEOUS Mars .. even laying beside the buddha that he broke, he does look a little guilty but look at that face !!! .. I would forgive him in a heartbeat ... :), Joy.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Mars.
    Useless knowledge, kindred spirits.:D
    I understand totally, she can write, and even owns up to what she's done!
    And she is beautiful.:cat:

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Mars!

Welcome to Antiquers..........that includes your best friend, your "talks too much" beautiful daughter, and of course your new and quite beautiful member, Barnacle.

"We" also have an all black beauty. She belongs to my granddaughter....she named her Magic.

16. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers! :) My family lives on a ranch, so we have 9 cats, three of whom are black cats--my favorite color!

17. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Welcome! The cat is gorgeous! Except for a slight angle toward the "culinary arts," I do NOT share your pecu...um...interests -- but I also have a vast store of knowledge only a Jeopardy watcher could love.

(My friend from Georgia reminds me that she too adores black cats. She and a friend were walking down a street in her sweet Southern town, when she spied a beautiful, sleek & shiney, big black cat on someone's porch. It was peacefully sleeping in the sun, and she thought she would just go give it a few skritches.

"@$#&&%!!! That's a Panther, you idiot!!!"

And the cat stood up.

Now my friend lives up Nawth.)

18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome Mars!
    Sure you'll fit well here, and I too highly appreciated your complete presentation post :joyful:

Lots of owned by cats here:cat::cat:
    Perhaps there are too some goaties :rolleyes: and we know at least one turtle lover:turtle:;)

19. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Welcome, Mars.

I don't have any goats or kids, but I do have one special cat. My husband thinks The Other Cat is special, but that's just because she likes him best.

Plus I have a microscope (just a regular old microscope) that I use to look at small stuff. Just because. :hilarious:

20. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome, and thanks for sharing. Some of us like cats, or cooking, or almost anything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted