Featured I bought a bunch of Bakelite. Not sure what some things are.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lizzie, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would be better if you looked for salt and pepper shakers.;)
    I would be very suprised if it was originally meant for kohl bottles. I've seen over a thousand kohl bottles, also in pairs for different colours, but never in a salt and pepper shakers holder.
    I guess the shakers were lost or broken and someone just put the bottles in because they fit (sort of).

2. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Salt and pepper shakers holder is one possibility and also vinegar and oliveoil bottles holder. Very common here in the restaurants.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

I don't know the exact size, but I think it could be a bit small for an oil and vinegar holder.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

There are these tiny bottles here in the restaurants, about 15 cm high. Maybe to fit in small tables. And some of the holders are plastic, some are metal. Quite common.
    Maybe the item is not for bottles but as you said for salt and paper, just reminded me of these tiny restaurant bottles.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

@Any Jewelry
    So if am I reading your comments correctly, that the set of kohl bottles I have do not belong to holder they came with?

6. Any Jewelry

Highly unlikely, imo. Do they both fit perfectly in the holder?

Bronwen, IvaPan and wlwhittier like this.
  7. Lizzie

There is about 1/8" gap all the way around.

Bronwen, IvaPan and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

That is slightly more than you would have with salt and pepper shakers, wouldn't you say?

9. Lizzie

I never thought about it. But since you pointed it out, it makes sense. The bottles look so nice in the holder I didn't even consider they didn't belong together.

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

11. Lizzie

Thanks Marie. I guess I better find some salt and pepper shakers for the stand.

12. Lizzie

Just wanted to thank everyone for the identification help and the clarifications. If I could I would send you all a bottle of wine or box of chocolates to show my appreciation for all the knowledge you share. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

bercrystal, komokwa, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

My pleasure, I love Bakelite and it's great to see unusual pieces.

What do the napkin rings look like?

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Lizzie

@Marie Forjan Top picture is of the napkin rings I got in the lot. They are plain. I will eventually sell them.

Bottom picture is of the Scotty Dogs on wheels that were a gift from my sister recently. They will be staying with me. I just thought I'd share because they're so cute. Internet searches say they are Bakelite which I didn't know when I received them.

resize rings.JPG

Resize scotty.JPG

15. Marie Forjan

Love those napkin rings!!!

I have the same scottie dogs, search ebay for "restoration hardware scottie napkin rings", you will see some in their original boxes. Not Bakelite and very recent but very cute anyway :)

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Lizzie

@Marie Forjan

I did as you suggested and found them. LOL when I was searching for Bakelite napkin rings, these scotty dogs and several other animal shapes kept turning up and being called Bakelite. It is incredible how much misinformation is out there and how it is perpetuated. Where does one go for accurate information on unfamiliar items? This forum is the only place where information can be trusted.

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

trusted.....yup......or disproved........we make mistakes too..... sometimes ! ;);)

.if yer sending stuff,,,,send the good stuff....:hilarious:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    bercrystal likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Of course Komo. Only the very best will do. They look sinfully good.

komokwa likes this.
  19. komokwa

they are.......an event in one's mouth...!:playful::hungry::hungry::hungry:
    and one's pocket book ! :eek:

20. komokwa

I bought some as a royal treat for me and my gals.....:woot:

I now live in a box under a bridge.....;)

lvetterli and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted