Featured I could be wrong, but it was WAYYY worth the risk

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:kiss:

judy, antidiem and MrNate like this.
  2. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I promise not to scrap the set :) :)

judy, komokwa, bercrystal and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Yay!:happy:

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Now that he knows it'll go well over silver price.:p:p:p:greedy::greedy::greedy: The tea service itself isn't my particular style either, but then neither is polishing silver and if someone wanted to pay one of us crazy prices for the privilege, I say let them!

5. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Once again great find @MrNate

Love these stories. Never get tired of your post, games and finds. Don't ever think that.

I look forward to this before (Polish) and after polish pictures. Those will brighten and sparkle up the day.

judy, Lucille.b, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, this set took quite some time to polish. I am very happy with the result. It may not be your preferred style, but I've fallen in love with the pattern over the countless hours I spent polishing and studying it. I hope you enjoy, and I hope you find treasure too.

IMG_6965.JPG IMG_6966.JPG IMG_6967.JPG IMG_6968.JPG IMG_6969.JPG IMG_6971.JPG IMG_6972.JPG IMG_6973.JPG IMG_6974.JPG

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nate, it is lovely! The "orange peel" texture is not my personal favorite, but I do love all the other detail.

Wonderful job cleaning it up, too!

bercrystal, MrNate and cxgirl like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"But here's the truth about silver right now....I think that in a lot of cases the price of spot is exceeding the collectors value of items." .... ( Mr N8 )

Dear Silver Surfer,,,,,, ( & I hope that gains traction..)

Some poor bastard needed the money more than they needed an old tea set....
    and U were in the right place at the right time...!
    ( I take nothing away from your........talent ! )

This may not be your best score.......but then , I can't think of what you found...that's BETTER !!!
    It's a stunning set !!!

On a different note.....if U showed these pics to whom you bought it from....
    I'll bet they'd shoot you to get it back !!!!

Again, I am flaberggasted that folks continue to give away silver like it has the COVID !!!!!

A feather in your cap, Sir !!!!!! :singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::singing::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Aquitaine, judy, aaroncab and 4 others like this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, wow, wow Mr Nate, seeing that set all polished up brings a tear to my eye, it is stunning:) I could see the unpolished set being scrapped, but nobody would ever scrap the set when it looks so beautiful, well done you!:)

judy, aaroncab, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

This message genuinely made me giggle. Every time I have a big score I continue to pinch myself... I’ve given up trying to understand how these items fall into my hands. Here’s a few more details on the original purchase:

-I found it browsing online, I just stumbled upon it within the first hour of the listing. The seller already posted the picture of a bottom of one without me asking.

-The challenging part for many purchases like this is to get the seller to agree to ship. For this one, I used a method I really like. I offered to send them the full asking price electronically, and then to send a prepaid label. So all the seller had to do was print the label and put it on the box and off it goes.

-To some sellers this is more convenient because they don’t have to give someone their address and have them show up etc...

-Total investment WITH the shipping cost was $140...

Tanya, judy, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  11. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

Magnificent work @MrNate

The hammered silver effect can be seen through your polishing. That is some serious elbow grease you have put in.

Did not see the tea strainer in the polished picture. Is that not silver?

judy, MrNate and Lucille.b like this.
  12. komokwa

\-Total investment WITH the shipping cost was $140...

I'm gagging on my spit here.......:inpain::inpain:............keep that to yourself ! ;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

naahhh, just kidding.......but I think I just threw up a little in my mouth !!:yuck::yuck:

;);)..:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Aquitaine, judy and MrNate like this.
  13. komokwa

Good 4 U , Mr N8.........!!!!!:happy:

judy and MrNate like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

It is lovely, and very traditional Javanese. The Djokja silversmiths originally worked for the courts, which maintain many pre-Islamic traditions. So the motifs are a legacy of the Hindu and pre-Hindu history of Java.
    I cropped one of you photos.
    On the left is a lotus motif, which in Hinduism and Buddhism stands for spiritual growth and purity.
    On the right is the double Javanese peacock, an old symbol of royalty but also of purity. Javanese Islamic mysticism adopted the double Javanese peacock as a symbol of the mystic purity of the prophet Muhammad.

upload_2020-8-22_14-17-44.jpeg

This is the Javanese peacock, it has a green neck instead of blue, and it has more crown feathers, which don't fan out:

[​IMG]

antidiem, judy, MrNate and 4 others like this.
  15. komokwa

& what's the sad looking little lion.......they so cute !!! ????

judy and MrNate like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Is this the sad looking lion?

upload_2020-8-22_19-35-30.jpeg

It is actually the double peacock, the manes are the tail (one tail for two peacocks = unity), the two sad eyes are foliage curls underneath the peacocks necks, the lion's nose is formed by the two bodies of the peacocks.:)

antidiem, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Your description of the symbolism, tradition and overall history of these images is amazing and beautiful. Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

judy, aaroncab, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any time Nate. I thought you would love it even more with a bit of extra information.:)

judy, komokwa and MrNate like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Ah yes, forgot to mention on the tea strainer, it ended up being plated sadly. I did manage to get an 82 gram sterling silver cup that you can see in the background of the original photos. Clearly icing on the cake considering the beauty of the teaset.

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  20. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

love that set !

Any Jewelry, judy and MrNate like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted