Featured I FINALLY GOT A TESTING KIT FOR GOLD!!! AND NEED SOME EXPERTISE

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

On reading what I've done.....although I do now believe it's fairly simple to read. BUT, I've already ordered a bigger testing stone as the 2" x 2" just isn't big enough, IN MY OPINION!!!! So, remember, some of you, my posting elsewhere that large fantasy coin that I know @daveydempsey in particular identified as pretty much just that..... 75 gr & 1-13/16" dia. gold looking.....https://www.antiquers.com/threads/i...re-because-thats-what-i-see-it-as-even.52573/

So I'm posting my 3 test results as I'd like your opinions PLEASE???? MY THOUGHTS are that I THINK it's between 10K and 14K, i.e. 12K, that is if the 10K acid & 14K acid weren't too close together.....I'm not understanding the 'wide' reaction around the 14K acid test, actually on all 3 tests, BUT did they actually co-mingle on TEST 2 - thereby voiding that test???? OR do I need to OMIT the 22K Acid completely and just do the lower three???? Which is actually why I'm getting a larger stone....sooo, I appreciate constructive criticism, please.....am in learning phase here!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!:happy::happy::happy: (PS...I don't think I waited long enough on TEST 3!)

Gold Test 1.jpg

Gold Test 2.jpg

Gold Test 3..jpg

KSW, kyratango, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

WHOA - lucky you, that is so cool.....................

KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Thanks, but I still need some help from you experts!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

KSW and Rayo56 like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

5. Bdigger

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Your streak stayed intact under the 14k droplet, but seemed to get silvery under the 18k droplet. So I say your item is 14k.
    I think you need to lay a heavier streak on the stone, instead of the scratchy looking ones in your tests. This way you can see your results better. I actually shine a pen light on my test stone so I can see the results more clearly. My old eyes don't work so good anymore!

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know nuthin from nuthin bout these tests....
    but...
    the blob next to the 14 K..... it's sweatin...and gettin all hot and bothered !!!
    :playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::jawdrop::hungry::hungry::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with stracci.:) So yay, 14k!:happy:

kyratango and stracci like this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

YAY! I'm so glad that coin has good value!

But here is a question - How to know if you have a gold plated item, instead of solid gold, without scratching so much onto the stone as to make a mark in the item?

10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

When I test I do what my scrapper told me, leave it for at least 15 minutes. If it is plated or gold filled eventually the mark will fade. If it remains just as strong as when you applied the acid then it is gold.

If you are still not sure you can try again scraping in the exact same spot to get further down into the metal.

Last resort, if it is something damaged or otherwise only for scrap, file into the item and drop a little acid onto the spot, if it bubbles green it is plated. I only do this for scrap, I would never file into an item that is wearable, but that's just me.

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
  11. Aquitaine

GREAT!!!!! THANKS ALL SO MUCH.....Now to watch the videos and re-check.....to be SURE!!!!:singing::singing::):):)

Bdigger and kyratango like this.
  12. Bdigger

Have you figured it out? Did you watch the videos and did they help?

13. Aquitaine

Actually, Yes, @Bdigger, I did watch a couple of videos, and they DID help!!!! Glad I watched them!!!! Sometimes I'm more of a 'visual' learner so they were most helpful! I need to be careful to space the acid drops further apart so they DON'T co-mingle!! AND I DO need to be sure to leave it be LONG enough @Marie Forjan!!

14. Bdigger

Glad to hear it @Aquitaine. I find U tube very helpful sometimes. I'm a visual learner too. I don't have a test kit, but I watched those videos and am now pretty confident I could use one without much problem.

Aquitaine likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

I'm sure you could!!! Pretty easy!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted