Featured I got a Rolex!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by moreotherstuff, Apr 9, 2021.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

z.jpg

zz.jpg

zzz.jpg

zzzz.jpg

It's really a souvenir of Licerne. The bowl shows the Dying Lion of Lucerne (easy to look up). The spoon is black with tarnish, but I figure it's silver plate and polishing would remove whatever silver is there.

The spoon is about 4-1/4" long.

Hoping someone can tell me what the mark means.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    kyratango, Ce BCA, KSW and 6 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Don't really understand that. As I read it, the first number says the plating is heavy, and the second number says how many grams of silver were used to plate some unspecified number of pieces. Maybe the letter indicates which batch?

The spoon weighs about 15g.

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I sold a Rolex spoon a few years ago. Many of the hotels gave these out to guests. There is a specific spoon that was given to people who purchased Rolex Watches. It looked like this one from the 1930s.
    1200_001.jpg
    P1080534ps5a.jpg P1080544ps1rs9--.jpg

moreotherstuff likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

From that site: "The markings on the backs of the spoons indicate silver content. B 100 12, this meant 100 grams of silver was used to plate 12 Normal size spoon spoons, or 8.33 grams of silver per spoon, since these are smaller, the amount of silver would be proportionally less."

Since this spoon is about half the size of a normal spoon, I'm guessing about 4 grams of silver.

Useful information. Thanks. Maybe enough to try polishing.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I could never identify the mark on this spoon.

P1080556RSSSS.jpg

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Bucherer was better known than Rolex till the 1920s. these spoons were giveaways to potential buyers; today we'd say a marketing instrument to push the Rolex name in the right places or hotels to the filthy rich that still had their money.

moreotherstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted