I hope all is well! I Need Your Help in Identifying the age and maybe the maker of this clay liquor

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ezeepass, May 31, 2020.

1. ezeepass

ezeepass Well-Known Member

Thank you all for reading my post! I have this bottle for over 10 years now and was wondering maybe the age of it and or the maker. I am no expert in this kind of stuff so this is why I am coming to you. It looks like it was use for wine because it had residue of cork on the inside. It looks hand painted and then glazed over. The inside of the bottle is green all the way through. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and stay well.
    bottle3333333.jpg bottle3333.jpg bottle333.jpg bottle333333.jpg bottle333333.jpg bottle3.jpg bottle33.jpg bottle33333.jpg
    BBBBBBB.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That little hole on the bottom doesn't go all the way up inside, does it?????????:rolleyes:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If the painting turned up as a real cameo, I would put it to the 1950s.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. ezeepass

no It doesnt Aquitaine

5. ezeepass

It holds water

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. ezeepass

Thank You Bronwen, but if you don't mind me asking why you think it is from the 50"s?

7. ezeepass

I uploaded another cameo if that helps

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The colorway looks a bit later but the drawn figure is certainly in the style of the 1950s.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. ezeepass

Thank you Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I collect & study cameos. When they were in fashion during the 19th century, the subjects were mainly mythological subjects copied from the classical or from the neoclassical, or they were portraits of real individuals. Late in the century you begin to see cameos of pretty women with elaborate hair & a lot of jewellery who are not portraits or mythological figures.

Cameos went out of fashion for a while. When they came back, they were almost exclusively pretty ladies wearing flowers &, often, a pearl necklace, like the second 'cameo' you posted. An even later development was the addition of a short veil, what I think of as the Lady of Spain look, like your first 'cameo'. These appeared when cameos had a another resurgence in the 1950s. The vase could be later than that; it can't be any earlier.

ezeepass likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"The vase could be later than that; it can't be any earlier."

Thank you. Well phrased and clear. I think 1950s is right. The ewer shape, suggestion of faux bois treatment and color combination. Compare with this vintage 1950s set.

Debora

orangeade-grandjean-joudan-ceramic-fake-wood-50-years-service_original.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  12. ezeepass

Thank you so Much! I am learning as I go on. You enjoy your day and stay safe

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted